Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am considering an E Pace first edition d180, I am yet to test drive. How do people find the 180, the few reviews I can find say that the performance isn't great and the engine unrefined so I wanted to get some real world feedback on the car..

Thanks in advance

G

·
Mgb,

I have had the D180 for about 6 weeks and find the performance perfectly acceptable and quite lively. OK, on idle and to about 10 mph you can hear a little noise but after that it is very quiet. I cannot speak for manual owners or those who tow but I am 100% happy with my choice. This is my fourth 4x4 auto diesel and by far the best performing vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had my D180 manual for 4 months and apart from a few problems common to the E pace (which have been successfully resolved by the main dealer), I find the performance more than adequate (I keep it in Eco mode). For a diesel, it is remarkably quiet and very smooth. The dealer's manager drove it and admitted it was the first manual he has tried and thought it drove better than the auto. The manual is more economic to run giving 42mpg locally and over 50mpg on motorways. I use Shell V Power which I've read in many motoring journals is much better choice than ordinary diesel.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an auto 180 diesel, previously two diesel Freelander 2s. Before that various sports cars.

The Jaguar is quite quick - certainly faster than the Freelander. It inspires confidence when overtaking and drives very smoothly (helped by the 8 speed auto box which shifts very smoothly too). It is certainly more economical than the Freelander. I'm getting lows to mid 40s driving the car quite briskly.

BUT I think that the engine itself is disappointingly coarse when cold at low revs. You will certainly know you are driving a diesel. It's much worse than either of my Freelanders with their Ford 2.2 little engines..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine has only done 600 miles so 4 cylinder diesels do tend to be a bit noisy at first but after a few thousand miles they always quieten down. I had the same engine in my XE and that was a bit noisy at first but after about 5k miles it smoothed out quite a lot. As regards fuel my best to date is 56.4 . usually its around 40mpg but if its a real short run from cold expect 20 mpg. Performance is pretty good for this type of vehicle so I'm quite pleased that the difference between the XE is not startling. Hope this helps. By the way it's a 9 speed auto., yes they are NINE speed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
CGC said:
By the way it's a 9 speed auto., yes they are NINE speed.
Thanks for correcting me on that - I wasn't sure to be honest and was too lazy to check. :(

Pretty sure mine has never shifted up to 9th gear yet though!

Re the harshness and likelihood of quietening down - I've now done 4,000 miles and no sign yet. :|

G

·
Mgb said:
Great, thanks for replies, what are you seeing MPG wise in real world?
I keep a log of my fuel consumption by filling to the nozzle clicks off each time and the average over 1,200 miles using ECO mode is 35.5 mpg. Worse case was 30.9 and best on a long run was 39.6. The average mpg indicated on the car display is not accurate like all cars I have owned.

It is in line with my expectations as no one actually believes the figures given in the manual, do they ?

My car is the D180 Auto

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a D180 (Auto) First Edition. Unfortunately it was delivered with a scratch so has just gone in for a repair. I have been given a P250 Auto as a courtesy car and I've noticed a big difference. When turning at a local T-junction my D180 goes to very low revs before shooting off after a pause. Is this normal? The P250 is much more responsive with no delay in acceleration at all, whereas I often have a delay in the 180. I would've expected this but just want to check in case there may be a fault with my D180!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, test drove bother the d180 and p250 today... Agree with comments the 180 sounds a little harsh when slow but was surprisingly nippy.. loved the p250 but mpg was awful!! Decisions decisions!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Mgb,

I wouldn't recommend the D180 Auto First Edition if it were the last car on the planet. I'm currently in talks with the dealership to take mine back and get something else. Owned since March and so disappointed I now barely go out in it.

It's noisy, doesn't seem to know what gear it wants to be in and is not smooth at all, lags massively and then accelerates too fast. When starting from cold, feels like there is an imaginary handbrake still on, you take your foot off the brake and literally nothing happens. When you take it out of reverse to move forward, it falls back and vice versa. There is a secondary noise that kicks in around 50 mph like a high pitched whirring noise that is audible over the engine and is enough to drive the driver insane. Loads of non specific rattles, vibrations and other noises when driving around town.

Biggest problem with the first edition though is the housing on top of the dashboard that covers the speed projector to the windscreen. At best, you are constantly looking through the reflection to see the road ahead and in certain light conditions the reflection becomes opaque and it is impossible to see the road. The car is dangerous to drive. I'm just back in after a longish journey and on roads where there is tall vegetation + bright light, it's bloody scary.

I had a courtesy car last week when they took it in. My heart sank when I saw it was an estate, never liked them. It was the XF Sportbrake. After two days driving this car, I did not want to give it back. it was everything one imagines a Jaguar to be and drive like, a pleasure to be in. I look at my car and I love the colour, I love the shape...I get in it and I want to cry for the money I'm spending.

This is just my subjective opinion and others are more complimentary about their cars. The last cars I've owned have been Dynamic Luxe Evoque 2.2D, Range Rover HSE Sport, Audi A3 Sport and TT 2.0l and 3.2l petrol - I'd like to think I know what a luxury sport car/4WD is. The E-pace is quick to accelerate on the straight but that's about all I have to say in its favour. Sorry it's not more positive but hope it helps.

G

·
KVet79 said:
When turning at a local T-junction my D180 goes to very low revs before shooting off after a pause. Is this normal? The P250 is much more responsive with no delay in acceleration at all, whereas I often have a delay in the 180. I would've expected this but just want to check in case there may be a fault with my D180!
I think this is quite common with a diesel automatic. This is the fourth auto diesel that I have had that this occurs. If you are coming up to a roundabout and about to stop but see that there may be a small gap in traffic and you try to accelerate then it can seem to die for a second ( enough to scare you that you will not get through the gap ) and then it picks up and you shoot off. A bit off putting until you get used to it. :eek:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stay well clear of JLR, I purchased a new E-Pace D180, it had a potentially fatal fault but Jaguar insisted there was no fault found even after I provided evidence taken from the car. Took over two months to get the dealer to accept the car back.

So.... car was unsafe & dangerous, customer services is none existent.... avoid...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts