Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. E-Pace 180D 3 months old. The Auto Start/Stop is not working anymore. The A/C and heater are turned off, outside temperature is 20C, and on the daily usual commute, it is just not switching the engine off anymore, ever. Before, it switched off on every lights or junction I stopped.
I suspect a battery issue, but really, after 3 months?! There is no message in the instrument panel though. The car is used at least 50 miles every day.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Could be shut off by the car while it is trying to perform an active regen of your dpf and it's possible you are ending your journey before the regen cycle has finished causing the car to keep the start/stop function turned off until it can be fully completed. Have you tried a journey where your speed is kept consistently over 40 mph for 30ish mins? If not it could be a useful thing to try if only to rule this out? Let us know the outcome, hope you get it sorted out though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My car went in for the phase 4 software update today and I asked them to check the battery as the stop/start wasn't working. The service guys said they would check the charge state but it may be the battery config needed to be reset so that the car registered a full charge. Not sure about that but on the journey home the stop/start was working fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spike said:
My car went in for the phase 4 software update today and I asked them to check the battery as the stop/start wasn't working. The service guys said they would check the charge state but it may be the battery config needed to be reset so that the car registered a full charge. Not sure about that but on the journey home the stop/start was working fine.
I've driven around 600 miles over Christmas so the battery is well charged and stop start is functioning fine. I guess time will tell if shorter trips affect battery performance and impact on start stop operation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, after 5 months with the car I had my battery replaced on the third visit to the service because of this issue. Only then it came back working. It seems a battery charging issue. I drive 50 miles everyday, so it is not the distance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an R-dynamic 250. I find that when the car is in 'eco' mode the engine start/stop is disengaged which is fantastic. In 'dynamic' mode the engine start/stop engages and it's a pain in the ...also check your manual out as it explains a lot of things. I have driven over 16000 australian kms in 'Eagle the E-pace' without a glinch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think I have solved the issue of the Auto Start/Stop working only intermittently on my auto P300 E-Pace. My typical driving style is to use the paddle shift to change down, in order to use engine braking, when approaching a junction or a tailback.

Just read the following in the online user manual:

The following conditions inhibit an auto stop:
• The external temperature is less than approximately -2°C.
• The external temperature is more than approximately 40°C.
• The engine or other vehicle systems have not reached the optimum operating temperatures.
• The driver's seat belt is unbuckled.
• Demand from the climate control system requires the engine to be running, e.g., when in defrost mode.
• The vehicle's battery charge is low.
• The auto stop/start system is deactivated.
• After reversing, the vehicle's speed has not exceeded 16 km/h (10 mph).
• A gearshift paddle has been used to select a gear (automatic transmission vehicles only).

The last item on the list struck a chord. So with considerable restraint I drove for some 10 miles in traffic, without using the paddle shift.
When in Comfort mode, on braking and coming to a stop, the engine cut out and the auto start/stop light showed green. However, as others have experienced this was not the case when in Eco mode. Some success after nearly six months of ownership! :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine stopped working last October after having a flat battery. Didn't come back when I recharged the battery, but it's just been into the dealership and they 'reset' it. Seems to be working OK now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts