Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came to a stop at traffic lights yesterday and the engine did its normal auto stop but refused to restart. Luckily it was on a slope and I coasted out of the way. Then the dash panel lit up with Gearbox Overheat warning. After a minute or so it decided it would start again. No more gearbox warnings so I cautiously came home and called Jaguar Assistance. They sent out an AA man.

The AA guy said they get called to so many failures like this, every make & model has problems with stop/start. Normal fix is to disconnect the battery for a few seconds and reset whichever computer it is. He reckoned the gearbox overheat was caused by coasting a few yards. The gearbox was turning but the engine not running meant no fluid was being pumped through the oil cooler. I'm not convinced, but it's plausible. He did say to get Jaguar involved, there may be a software update.

I'm annoyed that I have to endure the incompetence of the dealer network again. Maybe the technical side won't be so bad, post-sales support is appalling in my experience. Anyone able to recommend a good service department in the Herts area?

I've been looking in the manual (such as it is) and I can't find any way to permanently deactivate auto stop/start, all I can find is 'press the button' every journey. Surely the damn thing thing can be disabled? It only stops for a few seconds anyway (when it works), it can't be saving fuel or emissions.

This on a 2021MY with less than 3K miles on it. I'm not impressed...

·
Registered
265 Posts
You have to push the disable button on startup I'm afraid. It's one feature I don't miss already.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you ever have to do this again, put it in Neutral so you don't destroy the gearbox. That was sound advice from the AA guy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. An update.

I contacted Jaguar CRC who arranged a dealer. "Which dealers are we avoiding?" asked the girl on the phone!! They must have a lot of people underwhelmed by the dealers! I picked Lookers Buckinghamshire as the easiest to get to. Called them up, was told there were no diagnostic slots available for 4 weeks or so! I 'impressed' on the poor girl the facts of the matter, she consulted the diary and there was a slot available in a couple of days time. Hmmm...

The reception adviser was very good at his job. I took the opportunity to mention the brake groan that it's had since I've owned it. Got a call later to say they'd applied a service bulletin where they deglaze the pads and discs, which has changed the noise but not fixed it. He then said there were no faults logged so the transmission had not overheated (despite the error message) so no worry there. There were no faults logged for the stop/start either but they updated the software in the PCM and BCM and declared it won't happen again. So far it's been OK, time will tell. I didn't think about it before, now when I pull up in traffic I think "It'll be fun if it happens here"!

One strange side effect of the work is that the all-surface torque split display has stopped working. It shows the wheels but not the power split. Wheels steer but nothing else! It's booked in again in a couple of weeks.

I have to say I've been pretty impressed with Lookers Buckinghamshire service department so far. I got a follow-up call a couple of days ago which I really didn't expect. The guy seemed genuinely interested in how the car was doing and apologetic that something had gone wrong. They may become my dealer of choice!

Cheers
John

·
Registered
265 Posts
Despite having problems with my previous EPace and nearly giving up and buying something else next, the dealer has been great through it all so bought another one. Glad you got things sorted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other thing that really surprised me at the dealer.

He asked "May we wash your car, sir?"
"Do what? Of course you can!"
"It's just that some customers have a very specific way of cleaning their car and don't like us doing it"
"Wow! You go for it, I won't be offended!"

Car was pristine when it came back.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm one of those customers who leave strict instructions not to valet my car. I asked for my new car to be power washed and nothing more. Most dealer valeters have no time to wash a car with the care needed to ensure all the effort I put in is not undone in an instant.As for the dealer question it's a sign they are a decent bunch. Some people get their cars professionally detailed including ceramic coating which despite the misinformation need proper wash technique to maintain it properly.

I could go on for ever on the detailing subject, if you are curious search on You Tube new car detail.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wish my dealer asked me.. they used an automatic car wash of their own.. welcome back micro scratches..

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had it happen once when in for warranty work and despite note to leave unwashed it went straight from service to Valet. Had the horrible gloss tyre stuff that flew off as soon as I drove away! Spray wax gloss enhancer bonded to the windscreen and needed barkeepers friend applied to remove it twice as the film was awful when it rained.

Now as well as telling them to note on the job card I put signs on the side and rear windows Please Do Not Wash.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I take my car to a dealer I have made up signs that I display in the windows (front and back) and make it very clear that if they wash my car, when instructed not to, they'll be getting a bill from me for rectification (in a nice way of course lol).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. An update.

I contacted Jaguar CRC who arranged a dealer. "Which dealers are we avoiding?" asked the girl on the phone!! They must have a lot of people underwhelmed by the dealers! I picked Lookers Buckinghamshire as the easiest to get to. Called them up, was told there were no diagnostic slots available for 4 weeks or so! I 'impressed' on the poor girl the facts of the matter, she consulted the diary and there was a slot available in a couple of days time. Hmmm...

The reception adviser was very good at his job. I took the opportunity to mention the brake groan that it's had since I've owned it. Got a call later to say they'd applied a service bulletin where they deglaze the pads and discs, which has changed the noise but not fixed it. He then said there were no faults logged so the transmission had not overheated (despite the error message) so no worry there. There were no faults logged for the stop/start either but they updated the software in the PCM and BCM and declared it won't happen again. So far it's been OK, time will tell. I didn't think about it before, now when I pull up in traffic I think "It'll be fun if it happens here"!

One strange side effect of the work is that the all-surface torque split display has stopped working. It shows the wheels but not the power split. Wheels steer but nothing else! It's booked in again in a couple of weeks.

I have to say I've been pretty impressed with Lookers Buckinghamshire service department so far. I got a follow-up call a couple of days ago which I really didn't expect. The guy seemed genuinely interested in how the car was doing and apologetic that something had gone wrong. They may become my dealer of choice!

Cheers
John
I had the exact same scenario with mine coming up to a roundabout the stop/start didn’t come back on and I thankfully cruised round the roundabout to a stop on a side road. Same gearbox overheating warning (which all service folk have said they cannot find on the notifications).

The brake groan is the part I’m wearing thin on. MY2021 - picked up in June - has continually groaned and clunked when braking. Three times it’s been in for this (2 at lookers Buckinghamshire, 1 back at the dealer I picked it up from) and it’s never fixed. I had the re-glazing done and it came back with a high pitched squealing noise as you drove (jag assist fixed this), and it’s been with the dealer over a week. Supposedly fixed but picked it up yesterday and groaning more than ever. Have you found a fix for the brakes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The brake groan is the part I’m wearing thin on. MY2021 - picked up in June - has continually groaned and clunked when braking. Three times it’s been in for this (2 at lookers Buckinghamshire, 1 back at the dealer I picked it up from) and it’s never fixed. I had the re-glazing done and it came back with a high pitched squealing noise as you drove (jag assist fixed this), and it’s been with the dealer over a week. Supposedly fixed but picked it up yesterday and groaning more than ever. Have you found a fix for the brakes?
Interesting that you had stop/start trouble too. It hasn't happened to mine again so it seems the software update has worked.

Only thing I've found helps with brake groan for a short time is, of all things, to pressure wash the brakes! Hard to get to the inside pad, of course, but it does seem to help until (I guess) the politically-correct-non-asbestos brake dust builds up again. I must say I haven't noticed it half as much recently, perhaps it's a bedding-in thing or I pressure wash often enough.

A friend at work has a Skoda of the same vintage, he says his brakes are the same. Maybe it's just 'progress' but I'd like to think that a prestige manufacturer like JLR had the resources and the will to overcome the problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts