Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought an 18YM E-Pace SE R Dynamic 2.0d D180.

From our initial drive we have noticed a slight whine noise, particularly on acceleration and also intermittently when we stop the engine there is a clatter/bang noise.

My local JLR dealer can not bring my car in for nearly 6 weeks, but is speculating that it is a balance shaft issue & the engine will need to be rebuilt.

I have seen this issue on Disco Sport & RR Evoque forums, but not for the E-Pace. Is it an issue here too?

Any advice would be welcomed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry but I didn't record it & car has been recovered to the garage now.
Embarrassed to admit that sound was traced to a fault in the active vents on the lower radiator. Nothing to do with the engine as such 😳
Hopefully the whine will turn out to be something simple too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our E has been in for balance shaft replacement. There was a whine similar to either a slipping belt or turbo whine but the Jag mechanic immediately recognised it as the balance shaft.
He said it was a problem with earlier models and was surprised ours was affected but then he put the VIN in the system and said it confirmed it was a known issue for ours (but not a recall)
D180 auto which we picked up in June '18

·
Registered
2 Posts
Please Note The balance shaft whine is still happening on 2019 models of Epace 180 AWL Auto.

My Epace R Dynamic S 180 AWD Auto has developed the balance shaft whine and has been diagnosed by JLR as such

It goes in for the shafts to be replaced next week, does anyone know the route cause of the shaft failures, is it a lubrication design fault?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ordered a 69 plate R Dynamic S 180 AWD from Jag and just been notified that the balance shaft needs repairing before I can take ownership . Has anyone had it repaired and it's gone again or is it a case of once corrected there should be no further issues? Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Balance shaft failure is a common fault and certainly is on epace 180 mine has just been diagnosed (a sept 69 model) - significant engine rebuild

This fault is well known to Jaguar including their own internal technical bulletins. Even after repair the will not guarantee that it wont re occur, several reports suggest that it will as they have not resolved the actual problem as to why they fail or wont tell you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys
just letting you all know that my 9 month old D240 HSE R-Dynamic e-pace is also going in next month for a balance shaft bearings replacement. First noticed it a couple of months ago but I took very little notice. Eventually (last week) I decided I had better check it out in case it was serious. Apparently not, I was told. I can still drive the car but they will need to replace the bearings. So it is booked in.
The car has barely registered 8500 miles on the clock. Is this the start of future problems, I wonder? Not very reassuring. I will press Matford in Exeter for more information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Jason, re the problem with your e pace balance shaft bearings. I had same problem on my D150 at just over 8,500 miles earlier this year. My dealership Rybrook of Huddersfield gave me excellent service lent me a Land Rover Vogue whilst sorting it out. I have now done almost 15,000 miles with no further issues so it looks like you should have no more problems once it's done.Fingers always crossed however!!! Roy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts