Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Jaguar

Do you have any comment on this report in today's Daily Telegraph that seems to suggest that E Pace passengers could be at risk of being 'poisoned'?

"SOME of the world's greenest cars have the worst internal air quality, according to new tests.
Their air filtration systems are so poor that motorists and their passengers could be exposed to poisonous levels of particles, it has been claimed.
The Suzuki Swift, Toyota CHR, and Jaguar E-Pace scored the worst E rating for internal air quality, but A+ for their contribution to outside air quality."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting. I confess after owning many, many cars fitted with auto air con, the E-Pace is the first which seems to allow noxious exhaust fumes from the street into the cabin and as a result needs the air recirculation switching on - by which time it's too late!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The article indicates that tests show only 43% of particulates are filtered out in the ePace. These are outside pollutants so I don't suppose it matters if you drive a diesel, petrol... or an electric vehicle of some sort! Open the window and your getting 100%

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've read it now. I misread the post and I thought the pollution was coming in the car from the engine :D

I have owned a couple of convertibles in the past so my lungs must be in a right old state.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The article was in the Times too - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/drivers-of-greenest-cars-breathe-highest-levels-of-polluted-air-dxpvd0n02?shareToken=e2843009120e136d5ab428c55a0ce2c4

So the E pace's engine is one of the very best in terms of emissions, but the car is also one of the worst at pulling into the cabin dirty air from the vehicle in front!
If I had know that I would have added the Cabin Air Ionisation option. Too late now

Perhaps Jaguar can start providing free face masks (branded) to all E Pace owners.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I read that, and honestly it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The company who is running the "independent tests" just happens to sell the very consulting services needed to score better.

On the other hand, I'm more inclined to care about the Consumer Reports measurements, a nonprofit organization. While sometimes their subjective personal biases show through, for example when they complained about moving from the spinner park-reverse-drive knob to the fighter pilot flight stick (while I prefer the flight stick), to me at least they're a fairly well known, reliable quantity, recognized across numerous industries.

THAT SAID, can someone here please comment if it's possible to upgrade to the air ionization and air quality monitor, after market? I assume it's little more than a filter and a probe somewhere that plugs into the incontrol unit, that then recognizes it... yes/no?

·
Registered
25 Posts
MartinM said:
So the E pace's engine is one of the very best in terms of emissions, but the car is also one of the worst at pulling into the cabin dirty air from the vehicle in front!
If I had know that I would have added the Cabin Air Ionisation option. Too late now

Perhaps Jaguar can start providing free face masks (branded) to all E Pace owners.
Kind of smacks of being penalised for not taking the more expensive option...
I don't recall what cost that option was and I doubt it can be retrofitted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Any factual info on the ability to get the filter and the sensor installed from anyone reading this here? CRC, are you out there? Thank you in advance!

I am optimistic because a) the options were cheap compared to most others and b) there seems to be a cottage industry on ebay of people selling e-pace air filters...

G

·
Well in nearly 12,000 miles I have never noticed having outside air fumes coming in the cabin

I will pay attention in future though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts