Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have a 2018 Jaguar E-Pace which has done 11,000 miles which has just returned from its service and I have been advised that both front and Rear brake discs are corroded and rear pads urgently required!

To me this does not seem standard wear and tear at such a low mileage (I do not brake excessively) andI have never some across this issue before with my other new cars (Audi) - in fact my last Audi car at 3 years had done 38,000 miles and no pads or discs were required in that period.

RAC seem to indicate that anything between 25,000 to 60,000 for brake pad replacement - I just really feel my issue is not to do with usage but due to Jaguar using inferior bad quality materials.

I have contacted Jaguar direct and they seem to indicate it is normal wear and tear and I need to pay for it and it will not come under the 3 year warranty which obviously I am not happy about!

Does anyone else had similar problems or could advise on this please?

Thanks
J

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I suspected there are would be some more unlucky Jaguar owners out here!

I just heard back from Jaguar "Based on the above unless a manufacturing defect is confirmed with your vehicle Jaguar Land Rover would not be able to financially assist towards the required replacement."

Its def not normal wear and tear!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had discs wear out twice on a Mazda CX5 in 60000 miles. I live near the coast so the theory was it was the Scottish salt air to blame...who knows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
twabrigs said:
I had discs wear out twice on a Mazda CX5 in 60000 miles. I live near the coast so the theory was it was the Scottish salt air to blame...who knows.
So would be around 30000 each time? That does not seem quite as bad as 11000 miles! I live but the Scottish coast too but my last Audi q3 I had for 3 years did not need them replacing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,

Have you considered posting something on the Customer Relations section on this board. It can't hurt to push this further. 11,000 miles probably means they were knackered even earlier possibly under 10,000 miles and that is absolutely dreadful. I've had new/newish cars for too many years and driven them with similar mileage. I've never replaced discs on any car and I'm not sure that I've needed brake pads that early either.

Michael

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Michael-EPace33 said:
Hi,

Have you considered posting something on the Customer Relations section on this board. It can't hurt to push this further. 11,000 miles probably means they were knackered even earlier possibly under 10,000 miles and that is absolutely dreadful. I've had new/newish cars for too many years and driven them with similar mileage. I've never replaced discs on any car and I'm not sure that I've needed brake pads that early either.

Michael
Hi Michael
Many thanks for your reply.
I just joined the forum so not yet aware of the customer relations section but thank you! Will check it out.

I am pretty sure this issue is down to jaguar using crappy not fit for purpose materials but hard to prove?! What makes it really hard for me, is this is extra stress I could do without, my dad has terminal prostate cancer and we are waiting scan results, which may result in me having to drive him a 4 hour round trip for radiotherapy and I have to worry my car is not fit to drive (getting it fixed involves a 3 hour trip the opposite direction)!.

I did contact the CEO of Jaguar and was fobbed off with some assistant who has shown no empathy or assistance so I am really disappointed with jaguar tbh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same on my e-pace rear disc's started at 6 months (3k) and I was told they would wear at 2 years (15k) I was told they needed to replace the rear disc's at a cost of £550 at it would not be covered by the warranty even contacted JaguarLandRover directly and they didn't want to know very poor quality and poor service from Jaguar

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have 32 000 km it is about 20 000 miles. Discs are ok. E pace is relatively heavy car so discs are wear out faster but 11 000 miles is to short. Do you have photos? Was there annoucment on gage cluster?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DariuszTe said:
Hi Everyone,

I have 32 000 km it is about 20 000 miles. Discs are ok. E pace is relatively heavy car so discs are wear out faster but 11 000 miles is to short. Do you have photos? Was there annoucment on gage cluster?
Hello there

No I don't have photos, the only reason I found out was I had put the car in for it's service and on the receipt they advised all discs corroded and back disc pads urgently required. There was no warning lights on or any issue when braking.
I am going to take car to a local independent garage for inspection.

Jaguar head office are adamant it is wear and tear and not covered under warranty but I think is due to inferior quality materials being used but not sure how can I prove this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Smokeyblue59 said:
Jiggyjag said:
Similar posts on XE forum - may be worth a search as I'm sure some guys got new discs under warranty
https://www.xeforums.co.uk/
I previously owned a 2016 Discovery Sport and remember a recall for Corrosion of Disc's and they were replaced
I don't think there is any recall on the E-Pace - Jaguar Head Office are maintaining this is normal wear and tear (?!!) and they will not contribute anything to fixing them!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Maybe the discs are corroding through lack of use and the roughened surfaces are causing rapid wear of the pads? It sounds like you are doing less mileage than you used to, which won't be helping keep the discs nice and shiny . My car has been spending a lot of time sitting on the drive during the lockdowns so I wasn't too surprised to be told recently that the rear discs are corroding (overall I've done 23000 miles in just under three years). I'm expecting to be stung for new discs and pads all round when it goes in for an MOT in Feb.

I've not had this problem on previous cars, but then we haven't had lockdowns before. Also I've garaged previous (narrower) cars, so they weren't left sitting out in the rain. I may not be happy about it, but I'm not blaming JLR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mfl said:
Maybe the discs are corroding through lack of use and the roughened surfaces are causing rapid wear of the pads? It sounds like you are doing less mileage than you used to, which won't be helping keep the discs nice and shiny . My car has been spending a lot of time sitting on the drive during the lockdowns so I wasn't too surprised to be told recently that the rear discs are corroding (overall I've done 23000 miles in just under three years). I'm expecting to be stung for new discs and pads all round when it goes in for an MOT in Feb.

I've not had this problem on previous cars, but then we haven't had lockdowns before. Also I've garaged previous (narrower) cars, so they weren't left sitting out in the rain. I may not be happy about it, but I'm not blaming JLR.
Thank you yes that may be a possibility but then if you think about the thousands (millions?) of drivers including pensioners, 2nd cars etc that probably do that low mileage as standard then thousands of people would be facing the same issue? If this really was the case then shouldn't Jaguar be designing 2 versions of the car, 1 for high milage and 1 for low? My car is only 2.5 years old with only 11000 miles so was not really expecting this.

I better ensure I do more driving with my next car (Audi!)!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Same issue on my epace 180D, my pads required urgently replacing at my cars first service at just over 18000 miles.
Informed that rear innerr pads had measured at 8mm remaining but outer pads had worn to 2mm on both rear wheels, told by dealer that i was lucky discs weren't damaged.
Out of interest front pads were all at 8mm.
Not happy but agreed to replace, asked for original pads which I photographed and sent to Jaguar customer service.
Fobbed off and then told discs should be replaced as well, as dealer when questioned by Jaguar produced a service note document which had not been previously given to me that recommended discs be changed as well, all due to environmental issues!!.
I had not been advised this, although queried with Jaguar again just referred back to dealer who were apparently asked to contact me.
Surprise, Surprise no contact.
I have owned three previous Jaguars a XJC and 2 S Types, all second hand with no such issues.
I also believe that this is due to poor materials, why would pads wear so unevenly?
This is my first new Jaguar and because of this and other issues it will be my last.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I contacted Jaguar so called customer care and they have said this is not something that is covered under warranty, so I've had to pay for them to be done myself, total disgusted in Jaguar my first and last Jag.
If I could give anybody advice it's don't buy a Jaguar there not worth the money

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Croggy said:
I contacted Jaguar so called customer care and they have said this is not something that is covered under warranty, so I've had to pay for them to be done myself, total disgusted in Jaguar my first and last Jag.
If I could give anybody advice it's don't buy a Jaguar there not worth the money
Sorry to hear you have the same problem as I did ...I did send a link to this thread to the Jaguar CEO but completely ignored...terrible customer service and what seems like cheap inferior not fit for purpose parts being used by them. They will lose a lot of customers if they carry on like this.

I am going back to Audi next year, never had any issues with them .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.