Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got my new 2019 E Pace commercial. As I don't have back seats and I want to put in a child's car seat in the front passenger seat for my 9 yr old; the problem I have is that the front passenger headrest is in the way, how do I remove it, i've Tried the side button on the headrest itself but won't release the headrest fully? Can somebody help me please?

G

·
Unfortunately I do not think it is an easy or straightforward job to remove the front ones. This has been on the forum before so maybe have a search and see if someone found a way

Chris

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your reply. I got a definitive answer from the manufacturer that the front headrests can't come off anymore for safety reasons. It turns out my son who's 9 yrs nearly 10 is allowed a booster seat which solves the problem, I had him in a car seat with a back support and headrest up until now.
Lisa

·
Registered
50 Posts
On this subject, visited a relative who is retired emergency services the other day. He mentioned that he had replaced his headrests for ones with a built in DVD screen to keep the grandkids occupied.

Said that wasn't an option with my E-Pace as the headrests were not removable. He was genuinely surprised as he has always classed them as a safety option. He explained that if you were ever trapped in a car, he was taught to remove the headrest and use the 2 metal support bars to break the windows. That was part of the reason they had conical ends.

Not sure if this was ever a deliberate design, or something that just evolved for emergencies, but thought I would share.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Flynnster2 said:
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your reply. I got a definitive answer from the manufacturer that the front headrests can't come off anymore for safety reasons. It turns out my son who's 9 yrs nearly 10 is allowed a booster seat which solves the problem, I had him in a car seat with a back support and headrest up until now.
Lisa
If Jaguar has told you that, they have fobbed you off.

While booster cushions (booster seats without a backrest) as still legal if they were purchased pre 2017; the law changed in 2017 meaning any booster seat had to be high backed version.

The reason being, booster cushions do not provide adequate safety and protection, especially in side impacts.

So by Jaguar telling you that, instead of making the headrests removable as it states they should be and claim to be in the owners manual, they have just made your child less safe while travelling in the car.

This issue is not isolated to the E-Pace, but the I-Pace and F-Pace also, all of which claim to have removable front headrests / front head restraints, but all of which actually do not without the dealership permanently removing them making the seat then unusable for an adult, when the child seat is not present.

This is unacceptable and Jaguar has been selling cars based on misinformation which in my opinion they need to correct by delivering a procedure to make the front headrests removable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts