Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken the plunge and have replaced our Qashqai Tekna with a nearly new P250 First Edition - arrives next week.

Back into a JLR product after 4 1/2 years away - had Zermatt Silver RRS and Disco3s in the past .

Looking forward to the ownership experience and see how the E-Pace handles weather up here in rural Aberdeenshire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok ... today is pick up day from a dealer 400 miles from home got nearby last night ... just a short hop to pick it up then the drive back tomorrow .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice. You know you chose the right model when that's the same one the manufacturer chose to show off in all their advertising... although I'm not sure they recommend doing the barrel rolls at home.

Do you know if your First Edition has "active driveline"? Been trying to answer the same thing myself and haven't yet asked the dealer

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ... I think active driveline was only available on D240 and P300 models .

Could be wrong but I've never seen a U.K. P300 in First Edition Spec ... not sure about D240s.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, the First Edition P250 on the webpage (now long gone) under the appropriate section was advertised as having everything the R Dynamic model does... and immediately to the left of it, there under the R Dynamic column (which was P300), there it said "active driveline."

As you correctly point out there is no P300 first edition, but here we are with R Dynamic steering wheels... and since the "active driveline" could be attached to an engine of any power, so who knows? It was fun to read all the various webpage reviews of the E-Pace and to see the general confusion or incorrect statements around the first edition model.

Sadly I am beginning to wonder if this active driveline stuff is nothing more than a marketing name for our common AWD... I'm coming off an older vehicle with a "real" 4WD hi and low torque transfer case, hence my interest.

But if you figure anything out or run across anything please do post here. Confusion aside, it's an awesome vehicle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is ... but agree with you it is tough to work out what the spec is on these things and a number of the advertised ones have the spec not 100 percent correct. Some state 14 way seats when they are 18 etc..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi, to jagusa, the active driveline is a lot more than common awd, the system includes electronic controlled clutches which can move drive to whichever wheel has most grip, on the Art of Performance day, we were shown exactly what it could do, the test pad had two free wheeling rollers at the entry point, this caused drive to move to rear axle, this was shown on display panel with ASI selected, the vehicle moved forward then rear wheels went onto rollers drive moved to front, but one front wheel was on grippy surface other was on soap coated panel and started to slip, but still vehicle kept moving.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Taurus said:
Hi, to jagusa, the active driveline is a lot more than common awd, the system includes electronic controlled clutches which can move drive to whichever wheel has most grip, on the Art of Performance day, we were shown exactly what it could do, the test pad had two free wheeling rollers at the entry point, this caused drive to move to rear axle, this was shown on display panel with ASI selected, the vehicle moved forward then rear wheels went onto rollers drive moved to front, but one front wheel was on grippy surface other was on soap coated panel and started to slip, but still vehicle kept moving.
Taurus, sorry if I'm missing something, but aren't you just describing AWD? Here's a quote from the first link I found:

"all-wheel drive is all about varying the amount of power to each wheel, either by physically with differentials or transfer cases or electronically by brake vectoring"
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/awd-vs-4wd/

…so I'm still stumped what "Active Driveline" is beyond a marketing catchphrase, without any way to determine that I might have it vs standard AWD.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi jagusa, yes Active Driveline is a marketing name for their top driveline system, but it is only available with the two top spec engines, 240 bhp Diesel and 300 bhp petrol, Tony

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant

Been in the English/ Scottish Borders with the E-Pace this weekend... Car has been superb on some demanding B Roads and a comfortable cruiser on the A-Roads south of Edinburgh.

The Reason I was down was to Marshall Service at The Pirelli Rally - the car looked at home at back of service with the assorted Range Rovers and Land Rovers.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts