Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have had my e-pace 250 HSE for about 18 months now and it has had to go back in for various issues but one issue still persists that both the dealer and jaguar Land rover customer service refuse to acknowledge.

When I start my car or its stationary and the car is not on a flat surface the car will start rolling in the opposite direction to the gear. I.e. I was turning out of a drive and the road was busy so I pulled back off the pavement to allow a pedestrian to walk by......put in reverse....car rolled forward onto the road! Everytime this happens I panic and slam on the brakes. This happens both ways whether going forward or backwards.

I was told to raise it with customer services which I did but the response was its as designed.......I can't really understand or accept that as its dangerous. Its a 2.5 tonne car even rolling a bit in the opposite direction could hurt someone if a pedestrian walked in front or behind at that moment.

I have had/having many faults with this vehicle like the info system crashing all the time or becoming non responsive, my driving mode function only works half the time but this fault actually worries me. If Jaguar is unwilling to accept there maybe an issue what are my options for returning the car as with this fault I do not enjoy the car. I had an XE before this and it was perfect and I sung from the rooftops about how good jaguar was but this new model and the service I have received leave me with doubts.

Would love to hear others thoughts and hopefully get some focused support on the issue from Jaguar.

Thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
When cold and car is idling high if I set off before it settles usually 30sec then this can happen with mine as well. When warm it's usually okay...usually! which means that niggling doubt remains. What I suggest trying is finding a hill facing up as that's worse, and practise using the manual flip handbrake. Basically with foot brake on and D or R selected manually engage the handbrake and you'll know it's engaged by the foot pedal going a micro bit further down. Then move off and once it's moving manually release.

Should you need to do this? I think not. I'm over 2.5 years in and mines got more faults which requires 3 days in the dealer. Getting rid before warranty ends is the only certainty I have with this car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think these cars have a degree of hill hold assist. You can be sat stationary in D on a steep hill, take your foot off the brake and then accelerate away without rolling back. If you take your foot of the brake and leave it for a second or so it will start rolling backwards though. Never tried that downhill though, and I'm not sure its at all unreasonable that it would roll forward a bit before the (reverse) torque catches it. A bit of left foot braking would be a way round it I suppose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your replies. I will take a look at the hill start setting and see if that does anything. Regarding the rolling, this is not just happening on cold start its and change of direction on a slope and the slope doesn't even have to be very pronounced. I was doing a 3 point tune the other day in a tight spot and on a very small incline and the nose of the car nearly went into another car due to the roll. As soon as changed to reverse changed from brake to accelerate the accelerate does kick in for a sec or two and meanwhile the car starts rolling forward.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm finding the same problem.
If I'm parked in a spot that is slightly down hill and put the car in reverse to back out, the car rolls forward and no amount of accelerator will change this. I now let the car roll forward very slowly under brakes until it is resting against the fence and then wait for the email from the selector to be read by the transmission.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just had a thought....
When selecting Drive or Reverse from Park it automatically releases the park brake and is holding on the foot brake.
The foot brake then holds for a split second after release, hill start assist, to give time to get to the accelerator.
A possible way around may be to set the park brake, pull the lever, after selecting Drive or Reverse so when accelerator is pressed torque is building when the brake is automatically released.

Should not be necessary and I never noticed this in both XEs. It is a safety concern as car should allow enough time for the torque to build up before releasing the brake in hill start assist.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi thanks for the reply, I will try the workaround but as you said it shouldn't have to happen and is unsafe. Jaguar don't seem to care which has made me lose trust in a brand I have loved. I think with the multitude of issues on the car I may just VT when able and go for something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.