Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newly joined member to the forum, I will proceed with this little preamble to tell you how I arrived here.

This past while back I have been looking out for a premium compact SUV, and to date I have looked at the Q3, X1, GLA and as a wild card I threw in the Peugeot 3008, this essentially had been the status quo these past many months. Collecting brochures, getting bored listening to all the sales jargon et al, it was getting somewhat painful and frustrating as I just wanted to chat to knowledgeable technical persona, as I'm a confirmed petrol head myself, eventually it then became so much easier to just download and view the literature at home, joined the online forums and chatted to other likeminded people….what a real pleasure.

Then all of a sudden there did appear a new kid (cub) on the block so to speak, so lo and behold this game changer threw all my carefully connived previous plans in to total disarray, problem it sure was, but a nice to have problem, nice in terms of the sheer beauty of the product, beauty however is more than skin deep, so the driving force, luxury interior and on-board controls just added to the initial euphoria. The not so nice aspect of my problem was a frantic search of my piggy bank which consisted of numerous coins, wholly insufficient to make up the difference between the previously budgeted for pack, and this exquisite and wonderful but considerably more expensive E-Pace.
:D
So here I 'am, having arrived right here on the forum….!!!!!...Hello everyone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yay hello there. I just joined as well, and like yourself saw the E-Pace and it was love at first sight, the Q3/another evoque disappeared quicker than you could imagine. I booked my build slot but am finding myself in the no man's land now of , I saw it for half an hour, and its disappeared ! Hopefully it will reappear in Taggarts Glasgow asap so I can have a sit/touch/feel/drive and finally decide on colour....

Where are you with your E-Pace journey? Have you ordered?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi DMac,
I had visited Taggarts Glw long time ago and was told that by the time the E-Pace arrived they would be moving to Braehead oppsite Vardy, but I guess they might still be in Maryhill Rd? so with the resultant confusion I then went to Parks Ayr where I got my first glimpse, and about a week later I had another look at it again at Pentland Edinburgh, which done my soul a lot of good, as both visits confirmed that this "Fine Chariot" this will be my next set of wheels.

However the Ayr dealership has promised me a test drive early December, and I will then make up my mind about the final config.
Not too sure about Petrol v Diesel, I prefer Petrol but again Diesel with its sheer economy and clean burning SCR/DEF makes a lot of sense. I only do some 7000 miles pa, and some of my drives are short, none of which auger well for the Diesel option. Mind you I would then have the perfect excuse for a trip to the coast every week just to burn up all the soot out of the Cat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Bebe,

Yes they are still in Maryhill Road but not for long the new building is almost ready at Braehead, then Maryhill Rd is being flattened and rebuilt for Range Rover only. Lucky you having 2 looks. What colour did you see? I have only seen Black. Although my other post is all about colour dilemma, Yulong White is apparently stunning. I am like you about 6,000-8,000 miles a year not a massive amount. I just knew after an Evoque Diesel that I wanted a smoother and somewhat quieter car. We had an Audi A4 on holiday and when we got back into Evo it sounded like a bus.....

I am looking forward to a test drive early December (hopefully). I have booked a 1st March build slot and at the moment it is a R Dynamic SE P250 petrol, in Santorini Black with Oyster Interior and either Diamond or Black Wheels, but that is subject to change not sure about the a) Black or b) Oyster Interior. With 2 small kids and a small sausage dog not sure its all that wise. Cant wait for a drive though. I have enjoyed my almost 4 year old Evoque but looking forward to a change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My config is exactly the same as yours, P250, same colour inside and out, same engine, all of this at £44875.00 but I will wait till the new year to make a more informed decision on the Petrol v Diesel. There are merits and de-merits for both of these, and as I tend to keep my cars for longer periods it becomes so important to get things like this Right first time.
Just because I have this personal preference for petrol, I might be letting my prejudice cloud my decision...????

·
Registered
37 Posts
Welcome bebe. You won't get DMac1's extra wheels for £44875, just the basic #5049 for the SE. Devil's advocate here on your spec - as I have chosen to go down market on the base car in my order (D180), and add lots of extras within my budget (keeping it under the £40k VED tax step in my case). The P250, while it is of course faster and has a higher top speed than the D180 and the D240, has lower torque, poorer mpg and higher CO2. That all also means £800 first year tax and an extra £310 per annum after that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hmm Pjm007, food for thought indeed. I really wanted to have a petrol this time around so willing to fork out the initial extra money to get the quieter ride. We specced up on the wheels, and running boards as extra, plus black pack. Just not sure on colour/interior.
I am just looking forward to a test drive, another sit and finally spec decision. Then look forward to March 1st, and hope its not a grey wet and miserable day in Glasgow for the first drive. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for all those Welcome's to the forum.

First of all, your comment Rob about future punitive measures for diesel drivers, in addition to what may happen at the refuelling stations up and down the country, that's already happening with the rising prices of crude oil on the world market. Our problem here in the UK is more to do with the politicians, with their superimposed fuel taxation at the pumps, city driving new charging, perhaps more surcharging that we don't even know about yet for the motorist, and diesel owners could be at the mercy for these ill-informed, shall I call them politicians? E.g. Gordon Brown and his professor expert with no knowledge of NOx diesel pollution, and then there is the DVSA another para-statal organisation scrapping the tax disc, now every penniless Dick Tom and Harry is driving about with no tax, and no police around to catch them, and countless millions being lost to the treasury.
Oh, I digress, and have just realised this is in fact the E-Pace forum …..!!!!!!

Secondly pjm007, I concur wholeheartedly with all of your comments, as I also went down this same route as yourself with the D180 and the <40k factor, in fact I have used the config tool at least half a dozen times and now I may probably have more E Pace config knowledge than the average salesman, having had to point out the interesting drop-down boxes to my local dealership.

My issue is that I have little or no knowledge of the ingenium diesel engine, (what engine did you have DMac1 in your Evoque?) but I can tell you that when I was looking at the Q3 Quattro 180HP diesel in a showroom the engine was idling for some 4 to 5 minutes in this confined atmosphere and there were no perceptible exhaust fumes which really impressed me, also the quietness of the engine I would say was on a par with any similar size petrol engine. At this point it would be nice for someone with ingenium experience to comment of the JLR diesel engine, and my question would then be. Is it as good as to what I have described with the Audi engine? And if in the affirmative I could well be convinced that Diesel is the route to go for, subject to my all-day test drive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Bebe,

I did not have the ingenium engine, ( I asked on my test drive for e-pace) apparently the older Evoques it was an old Ford engine. Who knew....

I loved my test drive on the D180 HSE R Dynamic, Caseium Blue....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts