Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeing the headlights on all the time whilst set to Auto. At least I think so as its a stupid setup with no clear positions which makes it hard to do on the move.

I'm due a warranty visit next week for the rear tailgate strut cover so just want to get your thoughts on if you have noted them being over sensitive or if its failed to work properly. I can turn them off but as soon as I turn them car off and restart they are on again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine work perfect...they switch automatically on and off when needed...also the high beam assist function

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got to agree that the lights switch is appalling design. I've never come across a light switch were it's not obvious that the auto lights function is on or off.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In previous cars I was able to adjust the sensitivity but I don't see any option on the Epace

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So last week my car was in for a replacement tailgate gas strut cover that failed under warranty and I mentioned the lights staying on in bright sunshine and if switched off will come on again as soon as I move off again. Somehow the diagnostic said it was working fine and of course taking it outside and seeing the problem first hand was not done, so yet another trip back to get it looked at.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Pwood said:
So last week my car was in for a replacement tailgate gas strut cover that failed under warranty and I mentioned the lights staying on in bright sunshine and if switched off will come on again as soon as I move off again. Somehow the diagnostic said it was working fine and of course taking it outside and seeing the problem first hand was not done, so yet another trip back to get it looked at.
Hmm this one is tricky.
In my F Pace I also observed something similar.
Lights coming ON early than my previous Merc usually when this daylight saving thing comes in and we have longer daylight.
So what I did for comparison while driving I was on a look out for FPace or even other brand cars on other side of the road.
Most of them were with lights ON :) in same situation same daylight same weather conditions.
So I got settled that is how it is then.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
117 Posts
In F Pace there was an option to permanently switch lights off so I was mostly doing that due to battery drain issues.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My previous DS had the option to switch off and I settled for that as the 'auto' function was way to sensitive. This car obviously has no 'off' in the true sense so have accepted it the way it is, but found dull dry days triggers it when DRLs would be sufficient for being seen by other traffic. Come rain and I'll take all the light there is on the car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ERY said:
My previous DS had the option to switch off and I settled for that as the 'auto' function was way to sensitive. This car obviously has no 'off' in the true sense so have accepted it the way it is, but found dull dry days triggers it when DRLs would be sufficient for being seen by other traffic. Come rain and I'll take all the light there is on the car.
That's it.
Anyways I am no longer owner of JLR product but i still want to support and someday I'll get one depending if they get things right.
Currently it's Audi and not a single issue in 8 months.
But I still like how F Pace looked and the drive.

Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jalees said:
In F Pace there was an option to permanently switch lights off so I was mostly doing that due to battery drain issues.
I can't switch the lights off though. As soon as I move away the car overrides it and on they come. I'm looking at taking a negative equity hit to get rid as I'm fed up with the hassle as I'm getting low battery again and lights being on can't help. The fact it was at the dealer and a computer was the only check is disappointing.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apologies I should have updated this as it's a known fault . The technician checked the following: set wipers to auto and on a dry screen they came on
Turned headlights off and back to auto they default to on again in bright sunshine.
His conclusion was immediate in that a wire to the windscreen sensor had come loose so as a safety mechanism car reverts to lights on at startup and same with auto wipers.
He also asked if I had issues with the alarm which I hadn't but that's also a sign of a wire coming loose or splitting if the other issues are present.

There are two areas were the split can occur. One is at the sensor on the windscreen the other is in the wing near the battery. Mine was in the latter which is a lot work to remove to get at. Anyway they somehow turned it around in a day and sorted it. I don't have the car anymore having upgraded it but realised this should have been updated so you know the symptoms. Probably less common on newer ones as it one of those new model teething type things as mine was a 2019 MY purchase in 2018.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts