Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On rare occasion I have to park in relatives steep driveway. It's easier to get out if I park facing downward in front of their garage. When I return hours later I have a problem sometimes rolling forward when trying to reverse back up the steep drive. Tonight I had to left foot brake then put car into reverse then throttle on and release the brake pedal. Normally I have my right foot on the brake select R and move to the throttle.

I full expect my solution is reverse into the drive but I'm now wondering if I'm missing a trick. I had no issue with my Lexus after releasing the foot operated handbrake once car was in reverse it stayed put until throttle used. The car must have sensed an incline.

Thoughts and solutions. I understand with the manual you need to us the right hand handbrake lever but with the Auto as soon as you select fwd or reverse it releases. I don't have any issue rolling back on hill afaik so far.

G

·
PWood

I haven't noticed a problem with my auto under the conditions you describe but I always have my left foot on the brake anyway till I set off. Habit I guess. I will give it a go and let you know

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers will be interesting to see what you observe. I hope I explained the issue okay. I going to find a hill without garage direct in front to bottom this query as well. TBH is was never a fan of EHB before getting one but most of the time it's great less faff but still think pulling a directly connected wire is safer

G

·
My last car had a hand brake operated by a foot lever. It was a juggling act with the feet to operate. The E-Pace one works great

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I parked up on a steep hill facing down selected P and turned the car off. I waited a couple of minutes and then started it, and keeping foot on brake selected reverse then took my foot off the brake and zero movement until I pushed the throttle. I did this three times without issue.

It may be a cold start thing or me getting neutral briefly. So it's okay for now 🤔

·
Registered
12 Posts
I always reverse on to my drive, facing down hill. More often than not. If I stop for some reason; small child, cat, dog, etc. When I take my foot off the brake with the car still in reverse it will roll forward, down the hill. No hill holding at all. I have conversely noticed pulling away up hill in drive will result in a roll back as well. Both of these situations is where the vehicle comes to a stop but the parking brake is not applied, only using the foot brake. Further investigation is required as to whether option of the parking brake alleviates this situation. My consensus at the moment is that the hill holder / hill start assist is poor.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Snoopy said:
I always reverse on to my drive, facing down hill. More often than not. If I stop for some reason; small child, cat, dog, etc. When I take my foot off the brake with the car still in reverse it will roll forward, down the hill. No hill holding at all. I have conversely noticed pulling away up hill in drive will result in a roll back as well. Both of these situations is where the vehicle comes to a stop but the parking brake is not applied, only using the foot brake. Further investigation is required as to whether option of the parking brake alleviates this situation. My consensus at the moment is that the hill holder / hill start assist is poor.
Is this always the case though or occasion.

If anyone from Jaguar is reading this maybe you could explain how and when the system kicks in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not always. But a lot of the time. Without proper testing difficult to define a common set of criteria, Needless to say. I'm always anticipating some form of roll back before pulling away.

G

·
I have tried all the different scenarios above and my auto works as expected. It doesn't roll unless I am pointing in the direction of the gear selected and enough throttle.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car did the exact same thing tonight. I'm noticing that it's always from cold and also manages a slight roll when engaging drive in my own drive which I pretty much flat with a dip in the stones at the bit i part on.

It is fine the rest of the day and never a problem in stop start driving on a hill during traffic queues. As it's hard to replicate it 100% and would need to be left on an incline for a few hours a return to dealer would hard for him to diagnose I suspect.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi,

Just a thought that inclination is too much for auto hill assist to sense maybe or too low.
I usually when get into such roll situations i manually apply parking break while in D or R and then press accelerator, so it's like holding a handbrake till you reach that biting point like in older cars where you use to do it holding handbrake.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jalees said:
Hi,

Just a thought that inclination is too much for auto hill assist to sense maybe or too low.
I usually when get into such roll situations i manually apply parking break while in D or R and then press accelerator, so it's like holding a handbrake till you reach that biting point like in older cars where you use to do it holding handbrake.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ
Thanks for the tip in how you approach that sort of situation.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BilboBaggins said:
I too have this 'feature'. It's been discussed here https://www.epaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=278&start=10#p2096.

Basically, it's a safety mechanism to allow the gearbox oil to heat up a bit ;-)
I read that and have to agree with all of it. No one mentioned the self learning transmission though and it does tend to get better in driving in town after a few thousand miles. Unfortunately mine needed the coolant pump replacing and clearly software updated so it's back to square one. I also noted 98 RON was smoother but though I was just imagining it due to changing something but next fill up it's going to be 98 and some testing.

Basically then if the gearbox cools down too much I may need to use the method suggested by Jaleese.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts