Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse me if this question has been asked or answered before but I've read various threads on the subject and I'm still none the wiser.

I bought a 2019 D180 RDynamic HSE from a franchised dealer last month. Given the covid situation, the vehicle handover was brief to say the least.

I've got the Jaguar Remote app working on my phone and all is well with that.
However, I really don't understand the InControl pro services . I've logged in online and registered my car and the website says my pro services expires in 2029.

I don't really understand whether I have to buy a sim to insert in the car's slot to get it all to work? If I do, do I have to purchase it from Jaguar?
Should the car have come with one anyway given that it's still within its 3 year warranty?

I have a monthly allowance of 40GB on my phone and it connects to the car fine with Android Auto, can I use my phone's data/sim via the USB port to get the
InControl pro services to work?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is there a sim in the car already? Mine didn't have one when I got my car, but I wasn't bothered as I just took my data sim from my old car and put it in. If you haven't got a sim, try a 3 data sim from Amazon it's what I use.

Have you set up an incontrol account yet: https://incontrol.jaguar.com/jaguar-portal-owner-web/dashboard This is what it says on the Incontrol website:

PRO SERVICES
Jaguar Pro Services adds a suite of connectivity features to your infotainment system including Live and an in-car Wi-Fi hotspot. Connectivity for these is provided by a SIM card which is inserted in the SIM card slot in your vehicle. Please see your vehicle handbook for more information.

Connected Navigation services supplied by Jaguar can be managed directly at www.jaguar.here.com

So basically the Remote side of things is done through the car's telematics (which you have working) and the Incontrol Pro service is the the web/internet access for the car.

It's a good question about using your phone's data. In my last car, an Audi, I could use the phone to provide the internet access for the car. The function had a name, but I can't remember it now, but I gave up with it and just popped a 3 data sim in instead and have done that ever since. The 3 data sim comes as 12GB/1y and 24GB/2y. Amazon seemed to be the cheapest place for it (I'd post a link but this forum doesn't seem to allow it, just search for 3 data sim on Amazon)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2018 model, so assuming it's the same…..to use the Incontrol Pro Services you need to buy a data SIM card and insert it in the slot in the arm rest cubby compartment. You don't need to buy this from Jaguar. I use a 3 PAYG which provides 24 Mb @ £44. These last me for 18 months+, so less than £2.50 per month.

This will give you access to some extra services such as real time traffic data (eg colour coded maps showing how congested traffic is, petrol prices near you. It also allows you to connect your Spotify account to your Jag. Of course, you can easily connect your phone via Bluetooth to your Jag so it's just an alternative way of accessing it.

To be honest while real time traffic information is neat, it kind of tells you what you already know (ie you're stuck in traffic!). I do use it to play Spotify rather than my phone, but only because it's a habit I've got into and it saves you fiddling with your phone on the go. The only truely unique feature I use is the ETA feature. So when you're navigating (or use the commute function) if you press the information bar in the screen map you can share your ETA information with any phone accounts you've set up…so my wife gets a text and email as I leave the office!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

So it would seem that I can't use my phone's data for incontrol. :-(
I'm not sure what to do really. I'm retired so I don't commute or use for business, realistically I'd only use the navigation when on holiday in France or for the odd UK leisure trip.

I don't need a car-based sim for Spotify, my phone's 40gb monthly allowance is way more than I use currently for Spotify and Android Auto replicates and controls Spotify and Google maps from the phone's screen onto the car's display .

I've always previously used a stand alone Garmin GPS unit which I use to plan complex back road routes on the laptop using Garmin's BaseCamp. These routes have loads of waypoints to ensure I go the way I want and not just the way the car wants to send me.
Does the incontrol route planner allow for long complex, nadgery routes to be laptop planned and sent to the car?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Also being retired I have little use for a 'data' sim card, and as for route planning. If it's a complex one I log into my 'Here mapping account' on my homes desktop, plan and adjust the route, then save. Next I go out to the car in the driveway, connect to my house wifi (which I set up after purchasing the car) and synchronize. It then automatically adds my desktop map route to my favourites in the cars navigation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I've been having a bit of a play around and found that I can connect my phone as a WiFi hotspot and the navigation will run from that.
I'm not sure how much data it uses as I haven't used it much yet, but I do have a large monthly allowance with my phone.

The main issue I have is that having the WIFI hotspot enabled on the phone absolutely hammered the phone's battery going from 100% to 45% overnight.
So it looks like I'll have to look into whether I'll need to manually turn the WiFi on and off when I get into the car - not a major issue but not ideal either.

Jaguar InControl Route Planner.
What a complete ball-ache! Is it as [email protected] as it seems or am I missing something?
I log into my laptop In Control account - Route Planner -select 'From' point (car location, or my location, or type in address)
Select 'To' and the same options come up, the same with via/waypoints. It doesn't let me click on any exact via or destination point on the map itself.

Surely not...? What if you want to go to, or via, a point in the countryside where some roads are unclassified or have no name?
Some rural post codes can cover a couple of square miles.

All route planners allow routes to be planned and edited by clicking points on the map, is Jaguar the exception to the rule?
I'll be using my old Garmin GPS unit if this is the case.

Cheers Paul.

·
Super Moderator
110 Posts
The route planner isn't particularly good, but it is a very common tool used by loads of manufacturers. On the SIM question, the only practical thing that won't work if you don't have one is Live Traffic, and with that dynamic re-routing e.g. around accidents. The weather won't update, and you can't get a bizarre feed of news from CNN - but none of those things are of much practical use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.