Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the main complaints from the motoring press about the E-Pace was the automatic gearbox. After a week of driving my P250 I can understand now what they were on about although I didn't notice it on the test drive. When I am slowly approaching a roundabout in traffic and it comes to my turn to join the roundabout, I put my foot on the accelerator and for a split second, nothing happens. Therefore instinctively I apply more gas by which time the gearbox has decided what gear to be in and I launch out much faster than intended. I suppose that over time I'll adjust my driving style to compensate - getting on the gas slightly earlier perhaps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've noticed similar with mine very indecisive in eco and comfort modes not enough power when you expect it and too much after the point you needed it.

I tend to change to dynamic when approaching a roundabout as it holds the gear through the rev range giving you more consistent acceleration then back to comfort after the round about / junction.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same her. Known issue with the ZF 9HP transmission due to the ZF software and JLR having a bit of an issue integrating/programming the transmission characteristics with the engine characteristics. Also related to managing the fuel efficiency. The solution programmed is resulting in 'very indecisive' in eco and comfort and 'rocket mode' in dynamic. Since all software, may be some day a patch will become available.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried your suggestion IvorB1H but I feel little, if any, difference when switching between Comfort and Dynamic. I still have the same issue and I've also noticed that when crawling in traffic, progress can be less than smooth due to frequent the changes of gear. I have air conditioning on constantly (Cyprus) so this may be a factor. The only solution I've found is to put it in Sport mode. This mode certainly cures hesitation and puts a smile on my face but fuel economy drops through the floor. Still, if fuel economy was high on my list of requirements I would have bought a Nissan Leaf!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like many of the faults/grumbles logged on this website, this is a software issue. Took my car in to the garage and they updated everything that could be updated including power train and infotainment system. Gear selection is now absolutely fine, SIM card always works, iPhone always connects ...
I also asked them to fix a door rattle and they did.
Just take it in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the same problem on my P250, but I've also noticed that when starting the engine it idles at about 1500 rpm and after selecting Drive or Reverse it takes a second or so to actually engage. Anyone know if this is by design or related to the indecisiveness?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As suggested by Kennet, I took the car in for a software update for the transmission. They say is was completed although I couldn't get from them any version information. And the results? None that I can discern. It still occasionally gets caught out when pulling away from a slow crawl <sigh>. It really detracts from the driving experience. I can't rely on the car responding when needed and as a result, I drive much more sedately in traffic. Maybe it's a safety feature? ; -)

BilboBaggins. Yes mine does the same. I can live with that though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
BilboBaggins said:
I have the same problem on my P250, but I've also noticed that when starting the engine it idles at about 1500 rpm and after selecting Drive or Reverse it takes a second or so to actually engage. Anyone know if this is by design or related to the indecisiveness?
Same with mine - it takes AGES for gear to engage after turning the engine on!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the car booked in for the SIM card/cold start/gear indecisiveness problems on the 4th October. When the guy came to collect the car I showed him the cold start 'feature' and he thought that it was a bit odd and it seemed like he hadn't seen it before.

At the end of the day, the dealer phoned to say that they had performed the infotainment and transmission updates (although when I asked if I had the phase 4 update for the infotainment, the lady said no, just a technical bulletin update for the SIM misreads, or something like that!). When I got the car back, I did indeed have the phase 4 update (SIM card now reads OK and the Live services now work, e.g. Deezer, Tune-In, News, Weather, etc, for what they're worth!). However, absolutely no improvement on the cold start and gear indecisiveness, grrrrr!!!!

So, the car is going back in on the 16th for another try!

BTW, I did notice that the gear indecisiveness also manifests itself when accelerating out of corner, so you don't have to find a junction/roundabout to test it ;-)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, car back from garage now and nothing has been changed, but I did get the following explanations:
Cold start gear engagement delay: This is a safety feature to allow the gearbox oil to settle when it's cold. They all do this.
Pulling away/acceleration delay when moving: This is turbo lag.

So with the cold start delay, just going to have to live with it I suppose, but the pulling away delay is little more disconcerting. I've not had a turbo car before, so I don't know if this really is a natural behaviour these days. It does it in both comfort and sport mode I've found, and I'll have to give eco mode a go to see if it makes any difference. Other than that, I'm going to have to adjust my driving style :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Turbo lag? I thought those days were well and truly behind us.

Anyway, I decided to put the car in Eco/Sport mode the other day as I haven't yet tried that combination. It seems counterintuitive to me but surprise, surprise, it actually works well around town. It doesn't have the aggressive, boy-racer feel of dynamic/sport mode yet is responsive when acceleration is needed and reduces the delay (due to indecisive gear selection, turbo lag or whatever) mentioned previously.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Interestingly, Jaguar's media outlet say this (my bolding):

Ingenium petrol: flexible efficiency

Jaguar's modern four-cylinder Ingenium petrol engines give the E-PACE outstanding performance, refinement and fuel efficiency. The sporty compact SUV is available with 249PS and 300PS examples of the modular powerplant, producing 365Nm and 400Nm of torque respectively. Both are available with AWD automatic drivetrains only.

Upgrades to its twin-scroll turbocharger system deliver up to 26 per cent more air versus its predecessor, providing immediate throttle responses and virtually eliminating turbo lag, while the intelligent Continuously Variable Valve Lift (CVVL) system optimises driveability as load control is managed primarily by the intake valves rather than the throttle. Variable cam timing also enhances power and efficiency across the rev range, improving fuel economy and driveability.

The 249PS model completes the 0-100km/h sprint in 7.0 seconds while the flagship 300PS derivative achieves it in a rapid 6.4 seconds (0-60mph in 5.9 seconds).
This is the original source: https://media.jaguar.com/en-gb/news/2017/07/jaguar-e-pace-compact-performance-suv-sports-car-looks?q=&start=0&brand=jaguar#!

I wonder how they're defining "virtually" ;-)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jagger said:
How do you combine Eco and Sport?
By switching to Eco and pushing the gear lever to the left to engage Sport mode.

But....having played around with it, I've come to the conclusion that engaging Sport mode while in Eco doesn't change any driving parameters. It just gives me the option to manually select which gear I'm in. So, it'll be Eco mode only for me when driving around town from now on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi guys, I've had my P250 for a couple of weeks now and am miffed that drive/reverse is delayed while the engine decides I when they can engage, plus on a cold morning this delayed drive/reverse engagement when accompanied by a little throttle to get out of the garage produces a kangaroo jolt as it 'kicks in'. Not nice.
It's been back in to the dealer and they say that the high initial start revs and no drive/reverse is typical of the jag petrol engines. So, I have to wait now until the revs drop before selecting drive/reverse. This is all a bit surprising to say the least but then I have come over to Jaguar from BMW so what did I expect!!!

I also find that the first touch of the throttle when pulling away from say a junction is very abrupt which makes it quite an art to gently ease the throttle pedal a bit to make a smooth get away. While the car was in the dealers they loaned me diesel which did not have such faults as these. Maybe I have chosen the wrong engine since the P200 I test drove didn't seem to be like this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A workable compromise to the abrupt get away for me is to use 98 octane fuel and Eco mode. 98 RON provides more torque at lower revs where Eco mode likes to be. The issue of pushing the accelerator - delay - launch, has all but gone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
programming is keeping it in too high of a gear going into the turn, realizing too late that it needs to downshift when the driver opens throttle halfway through the turn, and is then stupidly choosing to downshift at exactly the wrong time. the clunkiness that follows is the downshift and then probably the throttle overcompensation as the driver instinctively mashes the pedal a little harder because of the delay. nothing to do with turbo lag.

alan, this is why you're seeing this as you roll into a roundabout and not when you're fully stopped at an intersection. because in the latter case, the full stop causes the auto tranny to gearshift all the way down before you enter the turn. this is why most of us encounter this when we're turning at an intersection where you have the green light and you're slowing only enough to make a sensible turn, but the tranny isn't shifting down while we're braking like it should.

SPORT mode helps mitigates the issue because it generally keeps you in a lower gear in the first place. makes you less likely to find yourself downshifting halfway through the turn.

DYNAMIC mode doesn't help because it doesn't impact gear selection. it does make the throttle more sensitive however, which can actually exacerbate the jerkiness of what's described above.

i've found that a decent compromise solution (P300R) is flipping the stick to SPORT during city driving (bad mileage anyway) and NORMAL during freeway driving (less frequent need for downshifting -- you can always temporarily paddle or SPORT to execute passing maneuvers).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts