Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot written recently in the motoring press regarding the ease that criminals can clone keyless entry and make off with our cars. However, there is a painful lack of response from manufacturers to recognise and assure owners how best to protect against such theft. JLR are often featured on lists of vulnerable vehicles.
Whist I keep both sets of "keys" in Farally bags, in a lined metal box secreted away, secure the steering wheel with a Stoplock, the press now suggests that criminals are roaming car parks, motorway centres and the like looking out for when we expose the key whilst locking or unlocking the vehicle.
The whole process of vulnerability in not only a pain to us whenever we want to use our cars, but I feel we are on our own without help from the manufacturer - perhaps they see another sale to replace a lost vehicle. Mercedes now say that the key can be easily switched off. I have seen suggestions that JLR keys can but the process is cumbersome.
Has anyone got any constructive suggestions?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wouldn't worry about criminals roaming car parks. The unlock code sent from the key to the car changes every time it is used. Each code will only work once. I would be easier for the criminal to hit you over the head and take the keys.

The real risk is the use of radio repeaters to extend the range of the unlocking handshake between the keys left in your kitchen and the car in the driveway. A faraday cage will stop this method working. Leave your keys in a sealed metal box and you are safe.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi,
Even if they manage to open the door they would still need to clone the key before they could drive away, they can do this only with access to the
OBD connection, some people here in Germany use a ODB Saver, it's a phyisical device that screws to, or covers your OBD (On Board Data connector). search the web for OBD Saver. I have like you a stop lock, that will do the trick.

Have Fun !
William.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Williamsplace said:
Hi,
Even if they manage to open the door they would still need to clone the key before they could drive away, they can do this only with access to the
OBD connection, some people here in Germany use a ODB Saver, it's a phyisical device that screws to, or covers your OBD (On Board Data connector). search the web for OBD Saver. I have like you a stop lock, that will do the trick.

Have Fun !
William.
I'm not sure that's true for a repeater - it will make the car think the key is inside and therefore allow the car to start? Certainly the videos I've seen show people doing that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts