Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner

Manual vs auto

14K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  mattrapier 
#1 ·
Just coming from a manual Evoque and cant decide on a manual or Auto E Pace. Has anyone anything good/bad to say about the manual Epace or should I go for the auto?

G
#5 ·
It's easy, just think of all those clutch de-clutch movements you make next time your doing 1mph on the M1 or M25 😱😱😱

I have had an automatic car for the last 22 years and will never never go back to manual !

The E-Pace auto box is 9 forward gears and as sweet a gear change as you can imagine😎

If you want to play Sporty Joe then just use the Sport setting !

Bliss 😀

G
#7 ·
I wouldn't go back to a manual. One other advantage of auto is that the electronic parking break is fully automatic. So when you put the gear into park the parking break also comes on, and when you put it in drive it goes off. So you never have to touch the parking break. I've only hand hand breaks before in autos so an automatic parking break is a bonus! Just one more thing you don't have to do.

#8 ·
Auto all day long.
Some have commented that the auto box often struggles to select the correct gear but I can honestly say I have not experienced any such issues.
I have recently switched from a bmw with a very smooth 8 speed auto and I think the jag 9 speed is equal to the bmw box.
Added bonus of the auto is the remote start option which has proved very useful the last few days!!

#9 ·
Both have their merits... auto allows you to remotely warm up the car or cool it down before you get into it, the driving of it is effortless especially in stop start traffic and the gear changes aren't really even noticeable in the auto but I would say if you need to suddenly accelerate for whatever reason in my experience I did find a slight lag in response from putting my foot down to the car actually getting going.
For the manual for me it's all down to feeling like your driving a car, I didn't take a test so that a car could do the work for me I love driving and I get more from the manual, I will say that I don't do a lot of motorway miles so I don't personally suffer the stop start traffic problem and the manual option will limit your choice of engine so there's that to consider but for what most of us get them for it's probably practicality and comfort over speed. This is purely my own opinion and I think you'll be happy with either it all depends on your day to day driving and lifestyle as to which one suits you more, hope this helps

G
#10 ·
Jagster said:
Both have their merits... auto allows you to remotely warm up the car or cool it down before you get into it, the driving of it is effortless especially in stop start traffic and the gear changes aren't really even noticeable in the auto but I would say if you need to suddenly accelerate for whatever reason in my experience I did find a slight lag in response from putting my foot down to the car actually getting going.
For the manual for me it's all down to feeling like your driving a car, I didn't take a test so that a car could do the work for me I love driving and I get more from the manual, I will say that I don't do a lot of motorway miles so I don't personally suffer the stop start traffic problem and the manual option will limit your choice of engine so there's that to consider but for what most of us get them for it's probably practicality and comfort over speed. This is purely my own opinion and I think you'll be happy with either it all depends on your day to day driving and lifestyle as to which one suits you more, hope this helps
Jagster

Good reply and it's obvious your as committed to a manual as I am to automatic😀

So if I said we both set off from the same point to the same destination and could NOT exceed the speed limit then would we arrive at the same time but you would be exhilarated and I would be nice and calm ?

Just a bit of fun 😀

#11 ·
ctoneman said:
Jagster said:
Jagster

Good reply and it's obvious your as committed to a manual as I am to automatic😀

So if I said we both set off from the same point to the same destination and could NOT exceed the speed limit then would we arrive at the same time but you would be exhilarated and I would be nice and calm ?

Just a bit of fun 😀
Well... that would depend on the speed limit we're driving up to ;) both auto and manual are able to give you exciting or calm drives dependant on road and traffic conditions I personally prefer to control as much of the vehicle as I can and changing gears manually is a part of that for me, I just wanted to throw my bit in to balance the scales a little bit, but there's a lot to be said for autos dependant on your preference and lifestyle because they are clearly a popular choice.
Good question ctoneman I like what you did there...fun ;)

#13 ·
I use mine in "Sport" mode and "Dynamic" all the time, but leave gear-changing to the computer, I have tried it manually shifting for a bit of fun, the shifts are very smooth and quick, but too much trouble for everyday motoring, it does come in useful for hill descents, saves covering the brakes all the time, Tony.

#14 ·
Ctoneman
I have driven it that way I test drove the auto first it was an r dynamic model so it had the paddles and I am aware you can knock the drive selector up and down to change gear and honestly I think if I got an auto and lived with it I would settle into that way of driving but for now, for me, it's 3 pedals and a gearstick :D

G
#16 ·
Taurus said:
I use mine in "Sport" mode and "Dynamic" all the time, but leave gear-changing to the computer, I have tried it manually shifting for a bit of fun, the shifts are very smooth and quick, but too much trouble for everyday motoring, it does come in useful for hill descents, saves covering the brakes all the time, Tony.
Taurus

I am intrigued by your post. So you have an auto box but you click over the gear selector to S and select dynamic mode and then just drive it without touching the gear selector again ?

Well I live and learn 😱

Does that give you added performance ? I just assumed in S mode you had to shift up and down manually

Chris

#17 ·
Ctoneman, yes that is how I drive it, also drove previous XE with same settings, it holds engine speed closer to peak torque so doesn't have to think which gear to look for, removes hesitation at junctions avoiding lurching that eco mode causes, because that is always looking to put you into highest gear possible, in my experience doesn't cause any difference to fuel consumption, just makes car more responsive, try you may like it, Tony. p.s. recent journey involving mix of rural lanes, residential, "A" roads and motorway, 29.4 miles, 38 mph, 50.2 mpg, 49 minutes. info from eco screen 99%, braking 5.0, speed 4.8, brakes 4.9.

#22 ·
Hi, I had test drives in two different Automatic E Paces and couldn't get in with the gearbox. It felt hesitant at junctions, which made me press the accelerator further, causing the car to shoot out onto the road. I'm sure I would have got used to it but compared to my previous Merc Auto and the Auto box in the XC40 I test drove it wasn't the smoothest. Didn't put me off the car but I had to go for manual which restricted Engine choice. Manual box is excellent and very smooth shifting.

NM

#23 ·
Northern Monkey said:
Hi, I had test drives in two different Automatic E Paces and couldn't get in with the gearbox. It felt hesitant at junctions, which made me press the accelerator further, causing the car to shoot out onto the road. I'm sure I would have got used to it but compared to my previous Merc Auto and the Auto box in the XC40 I test drove it wasn't the smoothest. Didn't put me off the car but I had to go for manual which restricted Engine choice. Manual box is excellent and very smooth shifting.

NM
I have the same hesitation problem and there's a thread on this forum about it. It may be peculiar to petrol models as I've read comments from diesel owners that say they don't suffer from it. I've adjusted my driving style to mitigate it by gingerly getting on the throttle earlier than I would normally. I say "gingerly" because sometimes there is no hesitation at all and I don't want to leave junctions/roundabouts etc too soon! Some have suggested that there's a software fix but I've taken it in, they say they've updated, but I can feel no difference. It's my biggest irritation I have with this car but I can easily live with it. Otherwise I can't fault the vehicle. It's fast, had all the gadgets I need (OK, maybe Android Auto), and is drop-dead gorgeous.

#24 ·
Im thinking of buying manual as love control, ( just blocked car) but also in case of breakdown easier to move or put into gear and jump start car but in automatic you are stuck....on motorway have cruise control which works grand with no stress. But this my opinion each one of us love the Jag which ever you choose.

#25 ·
Its a big, heavy car well suited to an auto. The 9 speed box is a bit odd at times, but as it learns your driving style the hesitancy problems do lessen. Its very effective if you need sustained heavy acceleration, and works very smoothly with the adaptive cruise control.
Its the first auto I've owned and I certainly don't regret the choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.