Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a tutorial guide anywhere for the Jaguar mapping Here/in control route planner?

Let me begin by saying that I've always planned complex routes (not just A to B quickest) for both car and motorbike using Garmin's Basecamp laptop software so I'm not a beginner to routing but....
I'm pulling out what little hair I have trying to get routes out of this counter intuitive poxy Jaguar planner .

I'm hoping, Covid permitting, to take a trip to Provence this summer avoiding Autoroutes and major Route Nationals so I'm using my laptop to route through rural France. I'm trying to plan routes in daily stages for example, home to Eurotunnel, Then Calais to Chartres and so on. The problem I'm having is that I seem to be able to plan Calais to Chartres and sync it to the car but then the route seems to default to showing my home as the starting point every time.

Now, when I try again and click 'set as destination' I'm getting an error saying "Couldn't sync. try again later" ???

·
Registered
84 Posts
Its a very limited system, I find the website fairly baffling and the app pretty much useless - anything beyond setting a single destination never seems to work. My suggestion would be to just set all the key waypoints as destinations (i.e. Favourites) and sync those to the car, that usually works fine. Then, just get in the car and pick the Favourite you need next (though with cursing that you can't name your Favourites). Obviously you can tell the in-car planning to avoid motorways and tolls to force it on to back routes if that's your preference. I don't think the system is even designed for you to programme days worth of route in advance, I certainly find it hard to believe it would work in any obvious and reliable way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I'm beginning to think that it's sole use is to provide a route from where either you, or your car is to a destination and NOT to pre-plan routes in other parts of the country. It will let me plan a route from UK to France and allow me to sync it to the car, but it won't seem to let me plan a route A to B within France before I get there.

My mapping subscription runs out in April and I'm wondering if it's worth renewing it now?
If i did let it lapse I understand that I wouldn't get any new map updates but would the live traffic and all the other functions still work?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Its a very limited system, I find the website fairly baffling and the app pretty much useless - anything beyond setting a single destination never seems to work. My suggestion would be to just set all the key waypoints as destinations (i.e. Favourites) and sync those to the car, that usually works fine. Then, just get in the car and pick the Favourite you need next (though with cursing that you can't name your Favourites). Obviously you can tell the in-car planning to avoid motorways and tolls to force it on to back routes if that's your preference. I don't think the system is even designed for you to programme days worth of route in advance, I certainly find it hard to believe it would work in any obvious and reliable way.
No mapping expert but is Google Maps or Waze an option using Android Auto or Apple car play?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, I'm beginning to think that it's sole use is to provide a route from where either you, or your car is to a destination and NOT to pre-plan routes in other parts of the country. It will let me plan a route from UK to France and allow me to sync it to the car, but it won't seem to let me plan a route A to B within France before I get there.

My mapping subscription runs out in April and I'm wondering if it's worth renewing it now?
If i did let it lapse I understand that I wouldn't get any new map updates but would the live traffic and all the other functions still work?
The Map subscription is just to get new map data (and relatively cheap at £129 for 3 years), roads don't change all that often so its hardly essential to leap in to renewing a subscription. Live traffic I think is part of the InControl subscription which also keeps the car management app working - and that is useful. To be fair to the system, once you have a destination in it, the clarity of information, re-routing in response to traffic and so on are absolutely fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mattrapier, yes I agree when it's asked to go A to B on basic routes it works really well. I'll be using it for the motorway schlep from Chester to Eurotunnel with no hesitation.

However I'm afraid I'll be taking the backward? step of fixing my Garmin unit to the dashboard for the French boondocks drive as I can programe it from my laptop with literally hundreds of shaping points so it will take me on exactly the route that I want to go on.

I realise that I've put myself between a rock and a hard place. I thought that with the latest car navigation systems that I could dispense with a GPS unit plugged into a ciggie lighter socket cluttering up the dashboard.
But years of planning bespoke motorbike and cycling routes on Garmin stand alone kit has rather spoiled me.

c'est la vie... ;)

PS, It seems that the US software on this site wouldn't let me use the 3 letter UK slang word for a cigarette beginning with F and ending in G :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
34 Posts
One day, I have asked for a route from A to B. As I wished to use another route, I have added C as a transit destination: as I did not pay attention, the GPS brought me to C's downtown !
:mad:
Not sure if there is a way to explain to the E-PACE's GPS that in such request, the intention is not to stop at C in order to get a coffee ...
:cool:

·
Registered
82 Posts
One day, I have asked for a route from A to B. As I wished to use another route, I have added C as a transit destination: as I did not pay attention, the GPS brought me to C's downtown !
:mad:
Not sure if there is a way to explain to the E-PACE's GPS that in such request, the intention is not to stop at C in order to get a coffee ...
:cool:
I used this technique last week and, in anticipation, deleted point C when I was about 10 - 15 km away. This could be done fairly straightforward in the Pivi Pro system (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts