Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,
My first post so please be gentle with me!
We have just purchased a 2018 E-Pace R-Dynamic S from a 'non Jaguar' dealership in Manchester and i may have been a bit daft, but we found out at the 11th hour that it only had one key. To cut a long story short, we have since been in touch with the previous owner who sold the car to WeBuyAnyCar and it then went into BCA auctions where this dealership apparently sourced it. The previous owner definately handed over both keys, so one must have gone missing during this process. I have made some phone calls and been told that this is not an easy fix and could be costly. Initial estimates in the region of £650 - £750. Something to do with a module that controls the keys signals???
What i was wondering is if anyone else has had a similar experience? We are obviously concerned about losing the one key we have and also concerned about the resale value of the car when we come to sell or trade-In 3 or 4 years down the line. Not sure if it makes any odds, but this is our first car purchase on PCP.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll make a call then to Jaguar to find out whether to take out a mortgage for a spare key.
I have contacted numerous third-party companies and none said they were able to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too bought my E-pace with only 1 key. The dealer (non Jaguar) didn't reveal this fact until I was collecting the car. He agreed that I could take it to my local Jag dealer to get this addressed and the dealership would pay. Ended up costing circa £800, you can't just programme a new key, you need a whole new keyless entry module with new keys (this is to stop thieves being able to programme a new key and drive away - ironically the reason I needed a new car and bought the E-pace in the first place as this is what happened to my XE!)

To be fair i was happy with this as i wasn't keen on the idea that there was a "lost" key out there somewhere that could unlock & start my car!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would also be checking that the vehicles been transferred over to your Jaguar account and no other person has access to the cars whereabouts. If stolen insurance may take a very dim view so contact them and discuss. Legal wise I've no idea how your placed. I take it the supplying dealer doesn't want to know or have you yet to contact them.

Also I would have thought the finance company would take a dim view of a seller supplying cars with only one key as its still theirs technically.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a very good point regarding the finance company. I didn't think to contact them regarding the issue. The dealership didn't really want to know and tried to make out that it was nothing to worry about as they have sold cars previously with only one key and it has never caused any problems. With regards to the Jaguar app, i did try and log on using the later part of the VIN code and it said that there was someone else on the account already and as such i would need to go into Jaguar to change over the details. Luckily the previous owner is down in Oxford and i'm up in sunny Lancashire. I might try and contact the finance company now and make them aware of the situation.
I really very much appreciate the info guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
ScoJac68 said:
That's a very good point regarding the finance company. I didn't think to contact them regarding the issue. The dealership didn't really want to know and tried to make out that it was nothing to worry about as they have sold cars previously with only one key and it has never caused any problems. With regards to the Jaguar app, i did try and log on using the later part of the VIN code and it said that there was someone else on the account already and as such i would need to go into Jaguar to change over the details. Luckily the previous owner is down in Oxford and i'm up in sunny Lancashire. I might try and contact the finance company now and make them aware of the situation.
I really very much appreciate the info guys!
I'd be very concerned by this if I was you, the previous owner is still registered on the app can use that to see where the car is parked, and potentially still has a key….

·
Registered
310 Posts
If the car is now over 3 years old then it would need a paid subscription as you only got 3 years in control as part of the ownership package. Also and please someone correct me if I'm wrong here! if you pull the SIM card out then that's it unless the car is connected to the house WiFi although I'm again I'm not sure. The emergency button overhead is separate I think.

That said you'll have parked it at the house already so moot point if its being tracked. Jag Uk should be able to quickly resolve that In control thing without the previous owner as it will show on DVLA who the reg keeper is and would just need Verifiable proof. You want it working and a new subscription as the ability to remote start on frosty and red hot days will never get old 👍

I think you can use your own SIM card but how that works with downloading updates is beyond me so over to the rest of you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pwood said:
if you pull the SIM card out then that's it unless the car is connected to the house WiFi although I'm again I'm not sure. The emergency button overhead is separate I think.
Unless it works like cell phones in France, i.e., emergency calls can be launched from a device locked by a PIN, fingerprint, ... In such case, removing the SIM card will enable any emergency call ...
My two cents.

·
Super Moderator
110 Posts
The car has its own built in SIM which is used for the remote app and the like, the SIM you plug in to the car supports the other data services like the live traffic and wifi hotspot.
The previous owner can unlock your car remotely via the App, they can make the engine start (though not so someone can drive away). I would get it to a dealer and ask them to reset the account for you asap.
Not surprised by the cost of a key, at the very least I believe they are manufactured to order so that its incredibly difficult to clone the key. But it might be worth ringing a few dealers for a quote.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not as yet. Ive left it in the hands of the finance company. Apparently they have 5 weeks to resolve the issue either way. I'm away on hols this week, so will probably chase next week

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.