Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my 180D sounds really tappety when pulling away, as though on some older engines the tappets were rattling. Could be just because its diesel but not impressed really on a £39k + car. Trouble is I find myself trying to compensate with driving style to stop it doing it, by accelerating a bit harder or going a bit faster. Anyone else noticed this?
I had a 2016 Evoque before this with the same engine and never had any noise, so is it just lack of soundproofing?

·
Registered
104 Posts
BZanetti
My D180 is exactly the same at low revs, eVenture my wife has mentitled this. I am exactly the same as you, my previous evoque with same engine didn't do this. Haven't mentioned this to dealer yet as they are totally ignoring my emails I have sent previous with all the other niggles. Let me know if you get a resolve.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is very interesting
I have a P250 and I'm sure it's much noisier/clattery than the petrol XE it replaced. The xe was the 240. So the ex ford engine not ingenium.

I'd be interested to hear from other petrol engine owners. I haven't been back to the dealer as it's not a major issue, but might pop by when I get the time and get them to listen to it. At least then if it explodes i'll be in the front foot!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
murchison2003 said:
BZanetti
My D180 is exactly the same at low revs, eVenture my wife has mentitled this. I am exactly the same as you, my previous evoque with same engine didn't do this. Haven't mentioned this to dealer yet as they are totally ignoring my emails I have sent previous with all the other niggles. Let me know if you get a resolve.
It is annoying, as I said I seem to end up accelerating harder to try to get through it! The Evoque was much more refined imho and definitely quieter. We bought the E-Pace as we fancied a change but are starting to wish we'd gone for another Evoque! Am taking it into the dealers early June for a free checkover so will mention it then. Don't hold out much hope for any help with it though going on my experience so far with Jaguar Assist and the dealers!
Which dealership did you use?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I test drove both the Evoque and Epace, the Evoque was that bit quieter and refined when running next to each other in my experience, but do not recall any rattling sound when pulling away 😬

G

·
BZanetti said:
Hi my 180D sounds really tappety when pulling away, as though on some older engines the tappets were rattling. Could be just because its diesel but not impressed really on a £39k + car. Trouble is I find myself trying to compensate with driving style to stop it doing it, by accelerating a bit harder or going a bit faster. Anyone else noticed this?
I had a 2016 Evoque before this with the same engine and never had any noise, so is it just lack of soundproofing?
BZanetti

Yep, I have a D180 Auto S and it is noisy in the first pulling away more than my last three Diesel automatics. Once it gets to about 20mph then the noise disappears and it is a quiet and smooth car in fact better than the three previous cars !

I took it to the dealers and they tested it with a similar car and it was the same and they said it was normal. However I drove the F-Pace, XE, XF and XF Sportbrake all Diesel Automatics and never noticed the same sound.

Hope you get to the bottom of it and let us know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm driving a P250 and can hear a rattle coming
from that empty space, between the steering wheel and the dashboard. If I push it up a bit with a hand, it
stops rattling for a short while then starts again.

G

·
Duncann32

I have mine booked in in July to re-investigate the engine noise. It is just that period from 0-20mph and sometimes I back off the acceleration as I think it is doing harm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Ingenium diesel isn't the smoothest of diesels at idle and does rattle a bit but I don't think it's significantly worse than most other similar sized diesels. If you are used to petrol it is a bit more of a step change though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts