Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... Does your E-Pace feel slow? Fine off the mark but this 9 speed transmission seems fine when relaxed but if the accelerator is pushed for an overtake, it'll change down a gear or two or three, revs go through the roof and progress seems rather underwhelming.

It may just be how this car feels. I have the P300 and prior to that was smoking around in a 3.0 X type. Now that, when prodded, felt very lively even with a 5sp automatic box. Bearing in mind the E Pace is supposed to be quicker, it just doesn't feel it.

There's a raft of difference between and old V6 and the modern age more highly strung 4 cylinder engines which need turbos etc in order to make progress.

Comments and observations very welcome.

·
Registered
41 Posts
P250 here. While I've yet to drive an I-Pace or a McLaren, I find the E-Pace plenty fast. Honestly I cannot get used to the shift paddles, too much for me to paddle through 9 speeds compared to shifting a 5 speed manual transmission. I'm better playing Ridge Racer.

Try flipping to Dynamic and knocking the stick over to Sport, then stomp on the gas and leave it there.

My friends ~25 years ago with their turbo charged Saabs used to tell me that their 4-cylinder turbos were quicker than my guzzling v6... I would say yeah but at least I don't have to worry about spilling soda all over the ignition switch.

RIP Saab. Speaking of I-Pace and Saab, glad to see their spirit lives on in the I-Pace.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The gearbox is annoying but above advice is good in that if you are looking at an overtake push the level over to S mode in Sport and it's less of a problem, Mines a 250 and doing that it's pretty rapid. I don't think any of that faff should be necessary though,

·
Registered
40 Posts
I find it is very nimble of the mark and at low speeds I get a good acceleration if I kick down, but I understand what you say cruising around 60 and kick down feels a bit laboured, I have not tried yet flicking the shift over and dropping gears and will give it a go thanks for the tip. My previous motor was a TT and going to the e-pace is a massive change I now no longer do the old man arggh getting in and out and anyone who now sits in the back can get out and walk again! Performance was a issue on my choice after owning the TT but I am not disappointed with my P250 in comparison with it, I would not throw it into a corner like the TT but the e-pace is a different style of driving and I'm loving it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My P250 has plenty of power when needed, it's a bit hesitant/jerky at times but I think it's worse when cold.
I didn't opt for paddles as I have them on my XKR and never use them. As others have said, if I am about to go for a fast overtake I move the stick to the left for Sport and give it some welly!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts