Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the 2021 and 2022 E-Pace models and see that since the facelift in late 2020 the pedestrian protection system no longer includes a pedestrian airbag. This was previously fitted to all of the 2017 to 2020 models. Can you please explain why this airbag is no longer fitted.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wondered about that as well! I found the following interesting information here: Official Jaguar E-Pace safety rating

The E-Pace has a deployable pedestrian protection system. Sensors detect when a pedestrian has been struck and actuators lift the bonnet to provide greater clearance to the hard structures in the engine bay, and a head-protecting airbag is deployed. Jaguar showed that the system operated robustly for all pedestrian statures and across a wide range of speeds. Accordingly, the car was tested with the bonnet in the raised, deployed position and good or adequate results were seen over almost the entire surface*. The protection provided to pedestrians' legs was also at least adequate but that offered to the pelvis was more mixed, with good and poor results recorded. In tests of its performance with a pedestrian target, the autonomous emergency braking system performed adequately, with collisions avoided or mitigated in most test scenarios.

* At the facelift in late 2020, the pedestrian airbag was removed, although the bonnet actuation remains. Results seen by Euro NCAP show that the protection of a pedestrian's head is significantly poorer around the base of the windscreen than was see in the original tests. However, the car's five-star rating is not affected by this changed.

I also noticed that (well I think at least) they went from a stereo camera to single camera setup for the AEB. But I guess it has been all reassessed by Euro NCAP.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.