Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During planning of the new E-Pace, Jaguar estimated that the petrol version would account for less than 10% of sales. Due to the changing market, it will now be 15-20%, according to UK boss Jeremy Hicks.

He said: "It's no problem for us. Our Wolverhampton plant can produce diesel or petrol units as needed."

Which engine are you planning on ordering?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If JLR add the 200PS petrol to the E-Pace range, then maybe I'll be much more tempted.

If a wet lettuce 150PS oil burner is acceptable as the base engine, then the 200PS petrol would have no trouble propelling the car at a decent pace and would fit nicely as an alternative at somewhere around the 180 PS diesel price point.

Someone more cynical might think that after betting the farm on oil burners, JLR is keen to see ROI on all that R&D. It definitely seems like the petrol options are a reluctant concession, remembering that "diesel education" piece that JLR pushed out earlier this year.

As much as I like the idea of having the 250PS petrol, it stacks up to a price I'm not willing to pay for a Jag. In particular it needs to be in S trim to escape the base configured ugliness of 17 inch wheels, tall tyres, cloth seats, etc, that belong in repmobile territory, not premium. Adding just the minimum such as paint and privacy glass hikes the price to 40 large and beyond, without any of the much lauded tech toys. For that kind of money or less, I'll be far more inclined to have another Merc.

I had the same problem when considering the Evoque and rejecting that, where it seemed as if JLR had shunted petrol to the top of the range to corral customers into diesel.

As much as I want to keep the E-Pace on my shortlist, unfortunately the current engine options will probably ensure that in the end it doesn't stay there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts