Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Big fan of the Jaguar styling. I've got an XE R Sport (Petrol) and always on the XE Forums keeping up to date.

Wife is a fan of the E Pace and settled on the SE model. Our main problem is the ongoing, no-real-answer to the Petrol vs. Diesel debate. Her commute is about 40 miles a day, currently in a Diesel now and loves the fuel economy.

We can get a lot more bang for buck with a Diesel, hence going for the SE. The only way to protect us from any valuation drops would be to lease the car, but at a 5.9% APR and with our preference to pay cash, I don't fancy paying the roughly £2k interest charges that would be bundled on top through the lease term.

What were your thoughts when deciding petrol v diesel?

G

·
I am driving a D180 S R Dynamic AWD Manual.I would have had a petrol version if I could have had a manual model ,so no option for me.I do not like automatics.People complain of slow gear changes and hesitations at junctions etc.With a manual you can only blame yourself.

G

·
I have a Diesel Automatic (D180) and it is smooth, responsive and economical. I don't have any slow gear changes or hesitations. I just leave it in Comfort mode and it is a dream with an average consumption of about 38mpg. Yep, I am the guy you overtake on your way to the Petrol station !!!

Its a personal opinion about automatics, but my last 20 years of driving have been automatics and I cant imagine having all those clutch movements in all the traffic jams I have been in.

Hopefully I have another 20 years of driving left in me and no UK government is going to ban Diesels ( or petrol for that matter ) in that time until they can replace the £28 billion pounds of tax/duty annually with what exactly ?

And any City that want to ban me from entering, I won't visit !!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had two VW Golf 2.0 TDI 4Motion in almost nine years, love the torque but went back to petrol because it's getting too complicated with adBlue...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also went for the D180 S R Dynamic AWD Manual. I've always had petrol cars but you get more for your money with better fuel economy. Getting 38 mpg for city driving is obscene! I also prefer manual so in order to get the spec I wanted, I actually saved by not going for an auto. Win win for me. Adblue is simple to top-up and my fears of DPF filters going (down to mainly city driving) have been allayed. I've only had the car a month but definitely don't regret my decision. The government wants both petrol and diesel cars off the road by 2040 so we're a long way off worrying about either choice at the mo. I'm glad I was kind of forced into choosing diesel down to the saving on overall costs. The gearbox is tight and feels sporty, even after changing from a BMW 3 series M-Sport.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers all. Think we're settled on a Diesel for fuel economy and the better spec we can get as a result.
Test drove the D180 and felt quick enough to be used to overtake tractors comfortably on country roads.

Now to tackle that pesky tax problem for cars with a list price over £40k :shock:

G

·
Unfortunately the fuel consumption gauges in any vehicle are notoriously inaccurate. The instantaneous reading is meaningless and the average reading will be optimistic so you feel better.

The way to look at your average fuel consumption is to fill up your car till it clicks a few times and log the number of miles you went since the last fill up. Divide one into the other. Simples.

My D180 Auto average consumption is 37.7 miles to the gallon since birth and I am now on 4K miles plus urban and motorway.

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
I check and log at every fill up and have found that the gauges are not too far out. Using Shell Optimax diesel is beneficial despite the extra expense. Using ordinary Shell diesel gives approximately 5% to 8% poorer consumption. Never use the junk fuel sold in supermarkets.

G

·
jack1947 said:
I check and log at every fill up and have found that the gauges are not too far out. Using Shell Optimax diesel is beneficial despite the extra expense. Using ordinary Shell diesel gives approximately 5% to 8% poorer consumption. Never use the junk fuel sold in supermarkets.
Interesting. I have not considered that using an "optimum" fuel rather than a "basic" would give that much difference in fuel consumption. I may try that out over a period as long as my pension holds out :shock:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a pensioner as well. Have to get the best value out of the what's left after the government takes its painful cut!!

I think that running a D180 manual in eco mode gives enough performance with some added cost benefits. I'm very pleased with the E Pace. My previous SAAB 2.0T petrol only gave an average 33mpg.

I came across an ad on line for the E Pace and it contained a "quiz" to see what version E Pace you should buy based on your own average usage. My result suggested I should buy an i Pace!!!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Jag have missed a trick by not having a small, economical petrol in their range

I was going to go for a small petrol in the XC40 but I was forced down the diesel route in the jag as I wanted a cheaper fwd model

1 - 18 of 18 Posts