Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my e-pace for a couple weeks now and have noticed an intermittent issue in that around 50% of the time when I start the car it doesn't recognised the installed data sim. Going into the connectivity settings and turning mobile data off then on again usually fixes the issue.

Is anybody else having the same problem / found a fix?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem, see previous posts.
Infotainment module caused 2 crashes (software) during a complete software download so was replaced. I have not driven the car much since repair one week ago but SIM card has been read 100% of the journeys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this problem along with a burning smell and having no air con . We took it along to Lancaster Jaguar Wolverhampton who regassed the ac and gave a system update. It now works fine ....but they did scratch my car and now im waitng for them to contact me to book it into the body shop. My first experience of jaguar is turning out to be not a very good one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The sim needs a strong push in with a thumb nail to make it release.

I have also experienced intermittent issues with SIM card reading. F pace forum states it is a known fault so into the dealer it will go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are the sim-card issues experienced by some of the forum members all resolved by software (or other) fixes?
I'm experiencing the same issue and one of my theories is that it is linked to my car being parked in a concealed parking where GSM connectivity is anyhow an issue. When parked in such a parking, the system doesn't 'see' a network and when out on the street it never tries to set-up that connection without help by the driver. It at least looks like I never have a problem when parked on the public road with full GSM coverage; but may be this was pure luck 😊

·
Registered
20 Posts
I personally don't think the issues are signal strength related, when I experience these issues I'm stationary and disabling and reenabling the mobile network resolves the issue and the signal is very good. In exactly the same locations on other days it works as expected.

I do think you have the point about automatically re trying to connect is the key issue, as Lionheart suggested, if it fails to connect it then requires the help of the driver. This is what I'm seeing, if it fails to connect it never retries and I have to intervene.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My car is in for the fix at the moment so we'll have to wait and see. But in my case the problem occurs regardless of where the car is parked - most of the time it's been on my drive it's fine but occasionally it isn't.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Generally, mine seems to be OK but, occasionally it loses connection and like others, a disconnect and connect fixes it. I've also noticed that it rarely shows 4G even when my phone has a full strength 5 bar signal. Now I've had an issue with my antenna and although it went in to be fixed I still don't have great signal resulting in poor DAB reception. If it is signal related, when you first turn on the car the Mobile module will search for a signal and mine takes ages, i.e. about 1-2 minutes (compare that with how long it takes your mobile to acquire a signal when you switch it on). If during that switch on time no signal is found, then on a mobile phone, it will sleep a while before trying again, to save battery. In the car it may do the same although it doesn't need to. Each time it does wake up to check for a signal, assuming it does after the first one, unless there is a good enough signal, it will sleep again. Has anyone noticed whether the signal strength indicator shows searching mode after that initial attempt? I don't think mine does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took delivery of my E-Pace P250 HSE on 29 May. Since that date despite many, efforts and tricks, the car steadfastly refuses to connect to the mobile network. It recognises the carrier but that is all, whether it is sitting outside, engine running, with an activated sim with a 4G signal with 5 bars on my iPhone, the car remains intractable and does not log onto the mobile network. The sim card works well enough as it happily connects to the mobile network when installed in an "airbox", purchased yesterday, so it is not an issue with the data sim card, activation or the mobile carrier but firmly on the side of the car itself, whether software or hardware, yet to be determined. I fear it is going to be an agonising time as no one seems to have much idea as to what the problem could be; is there a secret "on/off" switch for the sim card reader or could it be a duplexer? I can connect to an external Wifi system but connecting to a mobile network is not yet on this new car's menu !! This is akin to the problems of a Gulfstream G550 aircraft I operated for a number of years, mind you an E-Pace is cheaper than a new G550 but almost equally complex in its connectivity.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So an update from my dealer. They say the failures to connect are because I'm using a Three Trio Sim - they say that there is a specific advisory warning from Jaguar about this sort of SIM. They repositioned the SIM and said it seemed to be working - which it was both before and afterwards - but it has again failed to connect just a couple of days later. But I can't see how the problem is related to the SIM connection as I can get it to reconnect without actually touching the SIM - just turning data on and off again.

Is anyone having the random connectivity problems using a standard (rather than trio) SIM?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hcblue
Yes I'm having the same problem, periodic connection and reading straight away if you turn off / on the sim. It's annoying and hopefully will be resolved when the car goes into the dealet for the fifth time in 3 months with one thing or another.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quick update - just got my car back from the dealer. They have updated the InControl software to version 3 and so far this seems to have resolved the problem. I'm told the software update should also resolve issues with navigation not being available and reliability of bluetooth connections and phone calls.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I find that the problem occurs if when starting the car the SIM does not quickly establish a connection, for whatever reason. The car does not seem to try a second time and thus remains unconnected. It is quickly resolved by re starting the connection manually in the settings but I find this annoying. The system should be better than this and an update is required to fix this issue.

Which raises an important point, how do we get software updates? What is the current version of software and how do we establish what version we are running?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WaywardFaun - my understanding is that software updates need to be done by a dealer / authorised Jaguar service centre. You can find your current version in the 'About' option of the navigation app settings (you want the "App version" number). The old version was '2017B.11-3771', afraid I don't have the new version number to hand but can post it this evening.

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts