Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a third party making a rear parcel shelf. The original looks like it has been made by a six year old out of egg cartons and I would have expected better in a Jaguar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I picked up my e-pace last week and like most I am very much enjoying it. My last five cars have been Audis and BMWs and I think on the whole the e-pace build quality compares well. That is until you open the boot and your eyes are offended by something attempting to pass as a parcel shelf. The quality is dire and whoever designed and passed it in the QA department needs sacking.
I would be interested if someone finds an alternative but really this should be down to Jaguar to resolve.
Rant over!

·
Registered
46 Posts
To be perfectly honest I don't understand this rant since the parcel shelf on mine is fine. It's quite stiff and fit for purpose and seems similar to my previous 2018 BMW in stiffness. How anyone can say they think it's made by a six year old out of egg cartons I just don't understand.
Ok it's in 2 parts but so what? The rearmost part lifts out of the way with the tailgate and this brings the rear edge of the one left inside further away from your head when loading shopping etc. which I think is a good arrangement for a sloping rear SUV after having whacked my forehead on the back edge of parcel shelves on previous cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Alp, you are quite right, it is a bit of a rant but not over the design, just the poor quality. My last car was a bmw 4 series gran coupe that had the same split shelf arrangement but the build and finish was very good and in keeping with the rest if the car. It's just an observation of a component that seems very out of place in what is otherwise a quality vehicle. If this is all I have to moan about then I guess things aren't too bad.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree with ctoneman on the egg cartons thing - speaking of a car that can cost up to 95'000 Swiss Francs, it's way below par. My two VW Golf (6 and 7) had a way better quality shelf. See how long it takes until it disintegrates by itself...

By the way, the quality of the (optional) floor mats isn't much better... the one on the driver's side is already worn out - after nearly 4 months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
alp said:
To be perfectly honest I don't understand this rant since the parcel shelf on mine is fine. It's quite stiff and fit for purpose and seems similar to my previous 2018 BMW in stiffness. How anyone can say they think it's made by a six year old out of egg cartons I just don't understand.
When was yours made? I understand they may have updated the part to resolve the egg box complaints.

·
Registered
195 Posts
So the haven't learned their lesson...

BTW: I tried to remove the upper shelf in order to clean the rear window. Couldn't get that damn thing off!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pickythemove said:

BTW: I tried to remove the upper shelf in order to clean the rear window. Couldn't get that damn thing off!
Hi Picky, I also wondered how to get it off until I realised that the rubber plugs on either side are part of the shelf so you just tug the shelf near the plugs and bingo off she comes. The plugs sit on pins fixed to the tail gate. Great bit of design like the shelf, lol.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have to agree it should look better but its preferable to a roller which tends to be less sound insulating.

As for the carpet mat quality I am glad I went aftermarket as mine were a third of the price, despite being thick shagpile ones.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pwood said:
I have to agree it should look better but its preferable to a roller which tends to be less sound insulating.

As for the carpet mat quality I am glad I went aftermarket as mine were a third of the price, despite being thick shagpile ones.
The Jag rubber ones are good, however

·
Registered
195 Posts
alp said:
Pickythemove said:

Hi Picky, I also wondered how to get it off until I realised that the rubber plugs on either side are part of the shelf so you just tug the shelf near the plugs and bingo off she comes. The plugs sit on pins fixed to the tail gate. Great bit of design like the shelf, lol.
This time, it went off! Thanks for your advice - the manual was not very helpful...

·
Registered
49 Posts
No I agree. Got my e-pace end September 2018 and I agree, the level shelf is a joke. Looks and feels like a piece of cardboard with a felt laminate. Shame for this type of luxury car... anyway... it's jot a big issue. It just adds up to other things... ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts