Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I came down yesterday to find my passenger door slightly ajar and everything opened and rifled through inside. Luckily I had nothing of value to steal, though they did take my gym bag for some reason. I assumed that I left he car unlocked and so it was my fault. But then I got to thinking, doesn't the car automatically lock itself??

I'm now a bit paranoid and wonder whether the thieves had a jammer or something to open the car. Could they steal the car if they had such a device?

Lastly, does anyone else employ further security measures like steering wheel clamps etc??

·
Registered
161 Posts
The car doesn't lock itself, unless you have unlocked it but not opened the door, then it will re-lock, I think if they had equipment to over-ride the system, you would probably be looking at an empty space, as mrchiggles has said a quick glance at the mirrors shows if it's locked,

·
Registered
97 Posts
I always check the mirrors have gone in and check the app when I am locking the car up for the night and I use a faraday case for my car keys so the signal can't be boosted by thieves overnight, I got two from amazon for less than £10, it does sound though like you didn't lock it and they were just opportunists as previously said anyone that uses signal jammers and that kind of stuff is more likely looking to steal the car

G

·
After the same experience a few months ago with someone in my car at 4am, I now check the mirrors, the red light flashing on the dash and then the Jaguar Remote app. I also leave the drive light on and have my keys in a Faraday bag well away from the letter box. It's difficult to do more really without it being inconvenient to yourself but I do get paranoid I must admit

G

·
Jagster said:
I always check the mirrors have gone in and check the app when I am locking the car up for the night and I use a faraday case for my car keys so the signal can't be boosted by thieves overnight, I got two from amazon for less than £10, it does sound though like you didn't lock it and they were just opportunists as previously said anyone that uses signal jammers and that kind of stuff is more likely looking to steal the car
Jagster

You are so right. I checked my CCTV the night before and sure enough I had not set the alarm as I could see the wingmirrors in the open position so my fault entirely. The police were great and they knocked on the neighbours doors to warn of these opportunists. They just try door handles or spot a luxury new car with mirrors in the open position and just rob the inside !

The scanners will take the car !!!

G

·
Briarwood said:
Are faraday bags only for keyless entry? I have to click the key fob to get in so am presuming that's not keyless (as my mums car only needs the key to be near to open the door)
It's a fair point. I have always assumed that keyless entry is whether or not you have to use the actual key to start the car. I have to press the "open" button on the key fob but then put it in my pocket till exiting.

So what is the definition of keyless entry ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
ctoneman said:
Briarwood said:
Are faraday bags only for keyless entry? I have to click the key fob to get in so am presuming that's not keyless (as my mums car only needs the key to be near to open the door)
It's a fair point. I have always assumed that keyless entry is whether or not you have to use the actual key to start the car. I have to press the "open" button on the key fob but then put it in my pocket till exiting.

So what is the definition of keyless entry ?
I think it varies by manufacturer. My wife leaves the key in her bag and touches a button on the door handle, gets in and presses start. Same for locking it. It's the convenience of not having to find the key in amongst everything else she needs to carry with her! This is a £500+ option on a Jag.

I believe, as a Jag key transmits a signal to the car to open and start, it is a form of keyless entry and its this key signal that the scrotes try to scan and use.

My keys are kept in a Faraday pouch, the wife is sorted, her bag is so heavy, I swear it is lead lined! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
You don't need to push the button when you enter the car, just hold your hand behind the door handle and it will unlock, only when you lock the car you have to push the button.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A key scanner used by thieves can be effective on any car that has a push start button, the thieves usually have a blank key and a scanner to boost your own key signal from inside your house which they copy to their blank key fob which then can be used whenever they want to stop start lock and unlock your car as they please, it's actually scary how braised thieves are these days and how easy technology makes it for them to help themselves to our cars

1 - 11 of 11 Posts