Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Wonder if anyone else has had the scheduled service due reminder on dash and app? So frustrated! Called dealer and told that because I only do short journeys it probably needs oil and filter change. REALLY? Surely it doesnt mean that every 5,ooo miles im going to have to pay out £307. Have booked car in for next week but im not convinced that the explanation i was given was accurate. Don't want to pay out unnecessarily.

Firenze red d180 s.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Others on here have mentioned this as an issue - I for one will be on to Jaguar to complain if this happens to me - the advertised service intervals are what they are and at no point was I advised that shorter journeys would result in additional oil change costs

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Problem lies with all Euro 6 Compliant Diesel Engines, When they regenerate (Slight burning Smell in vehicle when this happens) an excess amount Of diesel is used for the burn-off, The excess then drops into the engine and the sump and dilutes the oil .

Better explanation can be found on the internet under Oil Dilution .

I have experienced this problem with a VW Tiguan and a Discovery Sport. This is one of the main reasons i have moved back to petrol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Back from the garage after an oil and filter change, advised it was because I only do small journeys they have done it free on this occasion but have advised if it keeps happening (which it is expected to) it will be chargeable I've done 5000 miles since March and it's happened twice now! :roll:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm driving a P250, 8 months old and 3,000 miles and got the same 'Service due' message. Spoke to the dealer who suspects it's an oil dilution problem from short journeys (I live in London and do a combination of driving in the city during the week and longer drives at the weekend). Spoke to Jaguar UK who weren't very helpful - won't discuss the issue until they have a report from the garage.

I was aware that diesels could have problems multiple short journeys but have never had this problem with a petrol. If it does turn out to be oil dilution I'll not be happy. No mention of issues with short journeys with the P250 when I bought the car and I've had 3 cars with the same driving pattern and have never had to service/oil change more than once per year.

Will post with an update when I have one.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You won't get this problem with petrol cars because they don't have a dpf (diesel particulate filter) it can be avoided even if you do regular short stop start journeys by taking the car for a little motorway drive roughly every 300 miles so the car reaches higher temperature and can safely burn off the particulates in the filter (passive regen) oil dilution happens when the car senses your not doing long enough or high enough speed journeys (above 40mph) for long enough (20-30 mins) so it performs 'active regen' where the cars system injects a little extra fuel to raise exhaust temp to clear the dpf, this takes the car around 15 mins to complete however if you stop the car before the car finishes this, the excess fuel that has been injected drops down into your oil and dilutes it, the car will do this every time you don't allow it to finish until the dpf is fully blocked and you will need a garage to fix it, there are a few threads on here and indeed google on dpf maintenance if you require further explanation, hope this helps

·
Registered
75 Posts
Smokeyblue59 said:
The Problem lies with all Euro 6 Compliant Diesel Engines, When they regenerate (Slight burning Smell in vehicle when this happens) an excess amount Of diesel is used for the burn-off, The excess then drops into the engine and the sump and dilutes the oil .

I have experienced this problem with a VW Tiguan and a Discovery Sport. This is one of the main reasons i have moved back to petrol.
I had a Euro 6 compliant Citroen for 30,000 miles - short journeys during the week, longer at weekends. No clogging, no oil changes needed other than at the service. Jag can't be charging for this

·
Registered
107 Posts
mrchiggles said:
Smokeyblue59 said:

I had a Euro 6 compliant Citroen for 30,000 miles - short journeys during the week, longer at weekends. No clogging, no oil changes needed other than at the service. Jag can't be charging for this
Same had a Honda hrv for 3 years 30000 miles
Short journeys no warning at all about DPF
You won't have known one was there

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. 2018 HSE D180 9,475 miles in 18 months, 2 oil changes, 1 DPF change. Car is currently at the dealer with an EGR fault while I do daily battle with Lex via the finance ombudsman. Does anyone know how long they take to give a ruling?

edited: I am trying to reject it btw.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts