Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know whether the USB ports are powered when the car is locked?

I've installed an Amazon Alexa device in my E-Pace - powered from one of the USB ports - and would like to know whether she will be slowly depleting my battery whilst I'm away from the car.

One minor irritation regarding enabling additional audio devices in the E-Pace, there is no auxiliary audio input to route sound through the car speakers. Or if there is I have not located it yet. I may try Bluetooth but suspect that will then disable the phone connection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't have the car this week but I think you can test by plugging your phone after setting a very long display sleep time and then see if the phone battery charge sign is always on after you lock the car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I've got this figured now. The USB port is deactivated when the ignition is turned off. I've noticed that The Amazon Dot device reinitialises when I switch on the ignition.

In general Alexa is coping reasonably well with her new car-borne existence. Though - since she has no GPS module - she still thinks she's sitting in my study at home - even when we are hundreds of miles away. So she can't be relied on to give you accurate distances or local road information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just out of interest why did you put an amazon echo / dot in your car?

I have a few round the house and think they are pretty handy for the stat / lights etc. But don't see the advantage in a car.

Also does it interfere with the Bluetooth from your phone ? Or do you just end up with multiple sources ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had one spare after buying on Alexa Spot (with a screen) for my study. It has turned out to be a simple way of getting info when I'm out and about - the Web Browser (quite rightly) is disabled when the car is moving.

It doesn't interfere with the phone at all and it doesn't use BlueTooth to attach to the car network - it uses wifi.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts