Transmission emergency release location.

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar E-Pace
Taurus

Re: Transmission emergency release location.

Post by Taurus » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:52 am

To Ianh, in the handbook it states " the recovery agent must activate the transmission park release before recovery starts. The procedure is covered in a separate publication for service personnel. Failure to activate the transmission park release can result in serious transmission damage." So it appears we are all in the dark, my suggestion would be to jack car up onto wheel dollies, Tony.
E-Pace SE 180d, Caldera red, Jet trim, fixed panoramic roof, privacy glass, 19" 5 spoke satin dark grey wheels.

Ianh

Post by Ianh » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:08 am

Thanks for that tony,yes I agree that the information isn’t freely available,don’t see why it’s such a secret and I am blowed if I am going to pay £22 for the privilege of finding out.
Having done some more searching I am now confident of the procedure so will try it later and post a how to so anyone else that needs to move there e pace when the battery is flat or the engines a none starter will hopefully be saved hours of searching or paying information tax to topix.

NeBC

Post by NeBC » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:24 am

Morning Ianh,

Just a thought, we know it's a ZF box with the model number stamped on the plate. Can you search for instructions using that info and ignore it's fitted to an E-Pace? I would have had a quick look but can't make out the number in your image on my phone.

Neil

Ianh

Post by Ianh » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:38 am

Morning Neil,

That is precisely how I have found out,it led me to Land Rover discovery sports and even that isn’t simple as newer than 2015 handbooks are the same as the e pace with the warnings but not the information,but in 2015 handbooks it actualy gives instructions.

Basicaly it’s air filter unit out,one 10mm bolt,one jubilee clip and disconnect one connector and it pulls out.
You will then see the lever as in my previous photos,you slide the lever across untill the hole in the lever lines up with a hole in the gearbox casing and install a 5mm pin (a drill bit will do it).
That then puts it in neutral.

NeBC

Post by NeBC » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:48 am

Imagine the potential catastrophe if you hadn't found out about the 5mm locking pin!
Glad it's sorted, hopefully the EPB disengages nice and easily!

Ianh

Post by Ianh » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:08 pm

Well it works,this sort of information should be in the owners manual in my opinion,however if I wanted to know how the heated seats that isn’t fitted work then it’s in the manual!
There is charge in the battery so releasing the handbrake is no problem.
Once you put a Locking pin in Then the dashboard flashes “N”.
Hopefuly this will be useful to somebody in the future.

B0CE7C96-E14F-475F-8C5D-1441395BB0AD.jpeg

36B725FC-4407-4465-9557-0F44CA68430D.jpeg

rayquayle

Post by rayquayle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:21 pm

Ianh wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:20 pm
Thanks for that helpfull piece of advice,I am registered with topix and should I become desperate then I may have to bite the bullet and hand over £22.80 which in my book isn’t a small amount of money,however I was hoping someone on here who is technical and has the knowledge to advise howto would share the knowledge,whole idea of a forum isnt it?,still not sure why you suggested I look at a link for a f-pace though so maybe I am posting in the wrong section,apologies if so.
Did you not try the lever I directed you to? You pictured it in post 8. That’s the Transmission Park Release Lever.
2020 E-Pace P200 R-Dynamic HSE Corris Grey

Ianh

Post by Ianh » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:31 pm

Yes,it was you that said under the air filter which helped tremendously as I found the lever,just wasn’t to sure what to do with it and wether or not it was the correct lever,lol.
Anyhow you was spot on so thanks.

rayquayle

Post by rayquayle » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:11 pm

Ianh wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:31 pm
Yes,it was you that said under the air filter which helped tremendously as I found the lever,just wasn’t to sure what to do with it and wether or not it was the correct lever,lol.
Anyhow you was spot on so thanks.
Ian, that’s great news. I forgot about the pin to keep it in N. I actually held it in position while pushing the car the few feet I needed to move it. It would need to be pinned as you described when doing a recovery or if needed to stay in N for any length of time.

Very good of you to do the how to and add the photos for others that need this info.

Ray
2020 E-Pace P200 R-Dynamic HSE Corris Grey

Taurus

Post by Taurus » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:33 pm

Glad you are sorted Ian, as Ray said nice of you to share info, Tony.
E-Pace SE 180d, Caldera red, Jet trim, fixed panoramic roof, privacy glass, 19" 5 spoke satin dark grey wheels.