Vibration / noise

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar E-Pace
twabrigs

Vibration / noise

Post by twabrigs » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:41 am

I have a small issue with my car which I’m having looked at while it’s still (just) in warranty. Not sure if it’s a vibration or a mechanical issue.

Driving at a steady 30mph if you depress the accelerator to the floor, there’s a sort of clunk noise which happens about 3 or 4 times as the revs reach 3600-4000 (about 46 mph). It also happens occasionally when accelerating hard from about 56mph at around 3000rpm. It sounds like it’s coming from the front right side of the car but it’s difficult to tell.

This has happened about 5 or 6 times in the last week or so.

It's booked in for next week so I'll report back. It doesn't sound like some horrendous transmission problem but who knows.
April 2018, D180 R-Dynamic HSE in Fuji White. Black Pack, 20" black wheels, panoramic roof, privacy glass.

twabrigs

Re: Vibration / noise

Post by twabrigs » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:09 pm

Car went in yesterday, they kept it overnight so service manager could take it home to assess this noise...inevitably none of them could hear anything. I checked the day before and could definitely replicate it myself.

So it's back in a fortnight for me to road test with them.

3 year warranty runs out at the end of April so I'm glad I've logged it with them meantime.
April 2018, D180 R-Dynamic HSE in Fuji White. Black Pack, 20" black wheels, panoramic roof, privacy glass.

mattrapier

Post by mattrapier » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:09 pm

I had a weird noise on gentle acceleration recently, after a week and a half at the dealer and a technical assistance call with Jaguar they diagnosed a fault in the VVT Solenoid which was replaced under warranty. That was a kind of strumming noise as you accelerated, only happened when it was warm. The exhaust heat shield had also come loose, but that wasn't the source of the noise.
Personally I wouldn't own one of these without a Jaguar warranty, I'll be extending mine shortly. Mine has spent weeks in the garage over the 1st three years.
R-Dynamic HSE P250 Black, with Black trim and Black wheels

twabrigs

Post by twabrigs » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:20 am

Interesting, and I agree about the warranty, have just extended mine for a year (£640...ouch). I love the car but probably won't have another one, too many things seem to be fragile and expensive.

Took one of the Jag technicians out today and thankfully it did make the noise eventually. He says seems to be when engine is under load and rocking back, perhaps a loose heat seal he thought? They're checking anyway.