Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner

Jaguar Remote App

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  kajoj 
#1 ·
Hi everybody
I have had my P250 for a couple of weeks now.

One question that has been haunting me is
"How does the Jaguar Remote App communicate with the car?"

On day one I connected the car to my home wifi and thought the apps was using that connection to get the current status of the car (doors locked/unlocked etc)

Then when the car was at Jaguar getting the Apple CarPlay upgrade, and far away from my home wifi, I was still able to get the status of the car. I could see the bonnet and door were open and the geographical location of the car. I guessed that it had connected to Jaguars wifi in the workshop. I resisted the temptation to click the "Beep and Flash" 😁 while the technician was working on it.

Then I bought a data sim and installed it in the car. Turning off wifi I could still see the status of the car.

The sim expired on the weekend and the remote app is still working with no wifi or 4G sim connection.

Can someone please explain how the Jaguar Remote app knows if a door or window is open.

BTW Apple CarPlay is fantastic! Google maps and Spotify are now my constant companions. If you haven't upgraded yet I strongly recommend it.

With Apple CarPlay working I don't see a strong case for a data sim in the console.

Cheers
John

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi John, the car has its own sim card, it is used to allow the remote app to work, also in the roof console there are two switches, one red one blue, these allow direct calls to emergency services (red) and to JLR breakdown service (blue), if you ever need to use them press to unlatch, then a long press to connect 2+ seconds, the system also allows you to view any use of the vehicle when not in your charge, ie service, you can see routes taken on test drives, also as has been proven on XE forum, unauthorised use, hope this helps, Tony.

#4 ·
Hi Dalek Supreme, the sim in the armrest is needed to activate wi-fi, you probably don't get the remote app services, it's only available I certain markets, Tony. PS can't get my head round your last sentence.

#5 ·
Dalek Supreme said:
You have to buy and install your own sim in Australia for it to work I think. I was told by the garage to buy one and insert it into the armrest bin. It's also on my wing I to get updates.
I dont think you need a sim for the blue and red button services. But I'm not sure if the data sim is responsible for the navigation to include traffic updates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.