Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner

Noise at motorway speed

9K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I'm not sure if this is a fault and would welcome feedback. I have a D240 AWD Auto bought
to replace our 6 year old Evoke.

It's been good so far, and my wife and I fight over who is going to drive it. :D

It is very quiet... but when driven fast... obviously at the speed limit here in Australia of 110 KPH... and not let's say 135 KPH as that would be illegal... there is a whining noise from the engine compartment from about 100KPH upwards... this may well be normal. It's not loud but because the car is so quiet, it's noticeable. It changes pitch with the speed. At lower speeds it's not noticeable.

Anyone else here hear it? Is it normal? I will ask the dealer about it soon.

Apologies if no one else noticed it and now that's all they can hear when they drive...

#3 ·
Thanks appreciate the answer! I'm not alone! Would be surprised if it was tyres as it sounds more like a fan or something but the transmission is a good suggestion.

Yes it is quiet though all round... my wife was driving and I deliberately took out a pin and dropped it next to the gear stick as we drove into Sydney.

Yep we could hear it... it's a bit 21c problem and maybe it will wear in?

#10 ·
I will. But to be honest take it in now. The replacement car I have whilst mine is being fixed makes no noise at all. Same engine. Same turbo's. If you can hear noise inside the cabin something is wrong. The cars soundproofing is really excellent... to be honest most of the time I can't hear the engine when it's warm and I'm in the garage.

Mind you... I overtook a I-Pace today... if I was made of money I would have one of those instead! Lol!

#11 ·
I have booked it in today. Had to get the jaguar head office involved as the dealer I bought the car from is awful! Don't buy from Beadles Jaguar!

I'm hoping that they will take a proper look at it this time. I may need to drive around with them just so they can see where the problem happens and when.

I-pace is nice! Shame they didn't introduce a hybrid version of the E-pace sooner. I would have gone for that.

#12 ·
I probably won't as I'm in Australia! Lol! But I can say the same for Trivettes in Sydney. Bought an Evoke from them and they were useless.

Yea I'm waiting another 5 years before I touch batteries. Not enough manufacturers and it's way too expensive. The hybrids coming out can barely do 30 miles on a full charge. So they use them to replace a turbo. Not really useful for the extra money they cost.

#13 ·
Dalek Supreme said:
transmission is a good suggestion.
Yep, I think it's the tranny as it rises and falls with RPM (although I've had cars with electrical issues in the past that did the same).

I actually noticed it at suburban speeds, on the motorway it's whisper quiet; driving on the M5 East on Sunday I turned off the radio just to enjoy the silence :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.