DPF problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar E-Pace
dimikai

DPF problem

Post by dimikai » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi,my car has 7500kms and is in for a DPF and EGR cooler replacement after a Check engine light.I found this which based on VIN affects my car

Issue Date: 08/02/2019
Action No.: H206 UPS1619-1

Subject: 2WD Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration Issue

Name: UPS1619-1.png
Views: 41
Size: 19.6 KB

Issue

A potential concern has been identified on specific 2.0L diesel vehicles within the above Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) range.

2WD Diesel vehicles with low flow rate injectors have an error in the calibration settings. Where a vehicle is used under light load with a slow (urban type) journey, and there is no highway drive completed, the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration process is ineffective.

There are no other vehicle functional issues associated with this error.

Action to be taken

This bulletin directs affected markets and retailers to hold any unsold vehicles in the affected VIN range. A further update will be issued no later than 15th February 2019. This will include the service instruction where possible, but may be a further ‘hold only’.

Customer Communication

Should this bulletin mean that you are unable to deliver an affected vehicle to a customer at an agreed handover date, advise the customer of the following:

"Jaguar Land Rover are committed to delivering vehicles to our customers of the highest quality, complete with the very latest hardware and software. Our vehicles are continually evolving with our Engineering and Design teams constantly looking for new and innovative ways to further enhance and develop our vehicles.

Jaguar Land Rover have advised us that there is an upgrade to be completed on your vehicle, and have instructed us to complete this action prior to handing the vehicle over to you. Jaguar Land Rover apologize that this upgrade may delay the delivery of your new vehicle but are committed to make sure that customers benefit from the very latest technology to make sure your ownership experience is the best possible."

If necessary you may communicate technical details of the repair or upgrade that is required on the vehicle, this is at your discretion.

Does anyone knows if a permanent solution exists?
Thanks

revoke

Re: DPF problem

Post by revoke » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:09 pm

This car uses the JLR D8 chassis and therefore, like the Evoque and DS, the 2.0L diesel E-Pace suffers from multiple DPF-related issues. Your symptoms have been seen before but not this explanation. It might therefore signal that there is a specific problem with "low flow rate injector calibration settings" on the E-Pace. But there are simpler explanations for your problems, as illustrated by the service compliance notification and letter to dealers reproduced below.

Here are some useful links:

[url]https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=5997[/url]

[url]https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5379&p=108120#p108120[/url]

dimikai

Post by dimikai » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:51 am

Thanks for the info. So i guess i’ll have to switch to a petrol...

Calibone1

Post by Calibone1 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Hi All,
I am also having a very similar issue with my 2wd 2.0l manual Jaguar E-PACE. The vehicle has been in twice in 16 months to have an oil and DPF change. We have lodged a formal complaint with the dealership as they are claiming the issues are as a result of ‘driving style’. We have made the dealership aware that at no point during the sale of the vehicle was our ‘drive style’ confirmed by the sales advisor to ensure the vehicle was suitable for us but they have continued to take a firm stance and deny any wrong doing. We have covered over 18,000 miles in 16 months with a combination on of short/medium and long distance journeys however they don’t seem to care for this information unless they can use it to their advantage to attempt to blame our ‘driving style’ as the cause.

I am currently trying to establish whether our vehicles vin number is one of the ones affected by the low flow injectors you mentioned in your original comment. Can you provide any further info as to where I can find these Vin numbers?

Thanks in advance, any further info will be greatly appreciated as we will more than likely have to follow this up with a complaint to the Motor Ombudsman.

revoke

Post by revoke » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:18 pm

You should seriously consider rejection under s,9, s.10 or s.11 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015. It is a matter of fact that your car suffers from a systemic fault connected with the exhaust system architecture and hardware, therefore it is not of satisfactory quality (section 9). Don't expect JLR or the dealer to accept this fact, on the contrary they'll fight like a cornered cat and tell you that it's all your fault. But you have right on your side, it's just a question of asserting your position successfully. The DS forum is a great source of information and remember - everything that is true for the DS in respect of the exhaust problem is also true of the Ingenium diesel E-Pace.

There is plenty of information available on the internet and other car forums about how to go about this from organisations like "Which". If you have finance you can reject the car to the finance provider since in law they own the car. If the car is owned outright reject the car to the supplying dealer. Alternative dispute resolution (ADR) is a process that all legal claimants are expected to go through before they take someone to court. Avoid ADR provided by the motor ombudsman if possible. They have very close ties with the manufacturers and are loathe to rule against their funders. A good thread about a successful rejection is this one on the DS forum.

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9397

PS I have assumed that you have had the DPF changed twice, not just the oil filter.

kajoj

Post by kajoj » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:39 am

Isn't it possible to just clean DPF?
What's approx price for changing DPF? Isn't it really expensive?

Did you have any symptoms before DPF has fault?

I've 2.0 Diesel 150 manual, and I'm seriously getting worried about that. I own the car for 9 months and drove about 25k kilometers. Wondering what's the cost if it happens to me...

Roym

Post by Roym » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your problem. I have had the engine alert amber warning and Jaguar assistance attended and found DPF partially blocked and oil dilution so the car is going into the dealer this week. Was your repair covered by the warranty?

dimikai

Post by dimikai » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:26 pm

When I had the problem dealer replaced DPF and EGR cooler under warranty.

Roym

Post by Roym » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:48 pm

Thank you dimikai for your answer about the warranty. I hope I have the same experience! I will let you know how I get on.

E-pace misery

Post by E-pace misery » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:27 pm

Hi all,
I am currently having a torrid time with the same issues as mentioned above. I took on my brand new Jaguar E-pace Diesel Estate 2.0dr 2wd on the 8th of August last year. First problem I had was the 23rd of September which was the "Amber " engine management light which at the time was unaware of what it indicated. Since the my car has been back at the dealer 5 times and been fixed by Jaguar assist once, all for DPF faults and one oil change. After the 4th time I told the Jaguar branch I took I purchased the car from that I no longer wanted the car as I was fed up with the fault. I had researched the issue by this point and could not see a positive future due to the usage of the car.
At the point of sale I explained my " Driving Style " and that I only done on average of 7k miles a year and that the car would be used for short commutes to work and back and that I daily done about 10/15 miles max.
At no point was I told that my driving style would be an issue or that it would not be suitable to the vehicle as I now understand how the re-generation of the DPF system works. I went for the E-pace purely down to the way it looked which I still think is a fine looking car. I did research the car by means of reviews of the car but at the time never seen any performance issues or DPF related issues.

Fast forward.. My car was fixed and 7 days later I was taking it back in with the same issue. This was the 5th time. 6 days later after the car was fixed it was back in with the same issue although the branch, Taggarts Jaguar Glasgow said that the car had an oil change also.
After the 4th time taking the car back I told the garage that I no longer wanted the car. My wife was driving the car on the motorway with my kids in the car when it went from normal driving straight to restricted performance mode casing her to panic and putting my kids safety at risk.
I was asked by Taggarts at this point to sign a DPF agreement which I refused as I was not prepared to accept ownership of the fault and being honest would be unable to take the car needless trips just to get the re-gen working as I work 60 hour weeks and work shifts.
My wife had been taking the car once a week to work to try and kick the re-gen in but to no avail.

I was told to speak to Jaguar Finance at lodge a complaint which would enable a " Vehicle Assisted Exchange" and was dealing with a lady called Melanie Lewis in Cardiff at Jaguar Financial Services . After many conversations and emails she said that the complaint would not be upheld.
My argument was that there was fault with the vehicle and that there was any mention of DPF at the point of sale and that the salesman knew my driving style and knew the mileage I did daily/yearly so would know the car would be unsuitable. (I never signed the DPF form at point of sale.)
Melanie said that it was my fault for failing to research properly that there was no existing fault with the DPF system that the fault was my driving style. Melanie gave an example of buying a washing machine and researching the product. I asked her what she could tell about the mechanics of a washing machine. She couldn't answer. I similarly knew little about vehicle mechanics. She also said that it was my fault that I went for a diesel or in her words " It was your decision to buy a less expensive car" " which I think is staggering considering its a 28k car and quite frankly appalling tone .I have all this on a letter although most of the things discussed have failed to be added unsurprisingly.

Going forwards I received a car from Taggarts Glasgow to say that I was to come and collect my car and that they would not be fixing my car anymore and that it would no longer be covered under warranty. I told them that I had already told them I never wanted my car and that I would not be taking it back. I could not believe that they were trying to give my vehicle back with a fault. They said that that the fault was down to driving style and that the courtesy vehicle had to be returned immediately. I told them that I had been waiting for weeks for my vehicle assisted exchange and thought that as the purpose of the call. I explained that as I told them at the 4th time taking the car in I no longer wanted the car and had completely lost faith in the vehicle. I asked what would happen if I drove my faulty car out and it went into restricted performance mode. They replied ..em don't know contact Jaguar Assist? Laughable and unbelievable. The problem is now mine. Taggarts Jaguar have refused any liability.

I have been advised to possibly trade car in at a loss or sell car at a loss .

My car which I got on August has done not much over 3k miles.

If you are thinking about buying a similar E-pace and do similar short trips as me do not buy this car it will cause nothing but misery. Gutted at buying a Jaguar as its been a car I always wanted and completely taken the shine off buying a new car.

I currently have no vehicle and at a total loss what to do next.