Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner

Oil level

11K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Blue Al 
#1 ·
My cub has just had its first service. It is a P250. Checking the oil level after the car was returned I find that it is only half way between the upper and lower marks on the dipstick. The car was filled to the upper mark when it was new, but the dealers tell me that half way is correct. As I am just about to embark on a 1,500 mile trip around Scotland, does anyone know what the correct level should be? The handbook suggests topping the oil up once it drops below the halfway mark.

#2 ·
Hi boba,
I'm not sure what the answer is to your question but be very careful what oil you use to top up. Jaguar are very specific about it and you could invalidate your warranty if you use the wrong oil. I tried to buy a litre from my dealership for my P250 but they couldn't sell me a can of it because they only buy it in 500 litre containers. I'm still waiting for them to tell me where I can but the right oil.

#3 ·
After I had the car for about 6 months I thought I should have some oil for topping up. Halfords don't sell the correct oil therefore I went to the dealers and got the same response as you. They sold me a litre of Castrol 5w20 which they said I should use for topping up.

#4 ·
boba said:
After I had the car for about 6 months I thought I should have some oil for topping up. Halfords don't sell the correct oil therefore I went to the dealers and got the same response as you. They sold me a litre of Castrol 5w20 which they said I should use for topping up.
I was told by JLR that it needs to be 0w30.

Castrol Edge
SAE 0W-30 meeting Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.03.5007

#8 ·
Hi,

It should be at top mark slightly less than top mark should be OK, half way is also OK but this means your dealer is trying to make some money here or they are just plain stupid, give them reference of hand book, and ask them to top it up, I remember once Mercedes dealer did the same and went back for top up. Reason is they should know how to do their job properly otherwise they should close the dealership. They charge you full money for it. They don't leave a single penny then why should we compromise.
Even if it's only few quids worth of oil.

I went in for early oil change mine is f pace petrol 25T and dip stick shows oil at full mark.

Just a note and I am sure you are checking oil level when car engine is cold like after being parked overnight. It should be at full mark.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

Thanks.

#9 ·
Yes I checked the oil when the car had been left overnight. It was in my garage and I know that the floor is level. I'm also aware that there is a lug at the top of the dipstick that has to be seated correctly. First time I checked the oil after getting the car I didn't seat it correctly and thought the oil had dropped by about half an inch. I took the 5 year servicing contract when I bought the car, so guess the garage is trying to recover it's costs. They also charged me about £100 for additional work that was shall we say "marginal". Had similar problems with a BMW service contract, but my last Mercedes one was very good.

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.