SIM card data usage spikes

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar E-Pace
Colinh

SIM card data usage spikes

Post by Colinh » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:48 am

Has anyone experienced high data usage spikes?
I have a 3GB monthly allowance which is usually plenty, but the last couple of weeks my usage has shot up.
July - 1.74GB, August - 1.05GB, Sept - 3.4GB.
Having spoken to my data provider he suggested that the high usage occasions looked like software downloads.
Sounds reasonable but when I suggested turning off data roaming he said only used abroad??
I turned roaming off and found there was no Live Traffic Update? I don’t feel I can trust his above statement.
Does anyone know?
Are software updates downloaded when not requested?
Can updates occur when car is not running?
On one occasion 1.2GB was used whilst I only travelled 18 miles in the day.
My knowledge on such issues is very limited so would appreciate others experiences on this topic.

MalcolmD

Re: SIM card data usage spikes

Post by MalcolmD » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:25 pm

IMHO the data depends on traffic in your area or en-route, I usually limit mine to 1gb a month but i don't use the satnav every day and not often in heavy traffic areas.
When I heard about a recent OTA software update I logged the car onto my home wifi.
2018 E-PACE P250 S Firenze Red
2008 XKR Azure Blue

Puggy

Re: SIM card data usage spikes

Post by Puggy » Tue May 19, 2020 4:31 pm

Not sure if you got this one sorted out but I experienced the same. Mine was linked to the sat Nav map updates set to automatic (not linked to the actual system software updates) so when the area u live in gets updated it was constantly pushing the new update. You can go into the sat Nav system settings and switch this off until ur connected to wifi 👍🏻