Power steering assistance reduced > stuck [solved]

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
shadow

Power steering assistance reduced > stuck [solved]

Post by shadow » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:45 pm

Hi Dan,

This morning first issue on the info panel : "lane assist unavailable".. then 1min later "Power steering assistance reduced" on a roundabout.. almost crashed into another car on the exit lane as the steering wheel demanded tremendous force to be manipulated.
200m later right in front of my parking spot (the last turn was epic) the steering wheel has stuck.

Honestly I panicked even if the car was stopped. I turned the engine off, then turn it on again and the error messages disappeared, the steering wheel was behaving normally... and I was able to park on my spot. It's obviously an electronic issue as everything went back to normal but now the car isn't safe, so I won't drive it before full inspection.

Called Jaguar Assistance, the vehicle will be towed tomorrow morning to my dealer.
I saw that the car downloaded a new update this morning (the last one on 25/06 was about upgrading lane assist and other key features... worked well !).

Fellow members of the forum if you have the same message just stop right away to stay alive !
I just feel lucky that it didn't happen on the highway, as I was driving around my 3 y.o. daughter.
Last edited by shadow on Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
MY21/ P200 (Flexfuel) HSE R-Dynamic / BluefireBlue

shadow

Re: Power steering assistance reduced > stuck

Post by shadow » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:33 am

I also contacted Jaguar France Customer Relations as it is a life-threatening issue, they will follow up with the dealer as I don't want them to tell me "we updated the vehicle, everything will be fine".
I want full knowledge of what the issue was , what is done to repair it, and how can I rest assured that it won't happen again.

Again the steering wheel warning on the dashboard was orange and NOT red, so no indication to stop the car right away.
Last edited by shadow on Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadow

Post by shadow » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:14 pm

Just had my dealer on the phone : they need to replace the steering rack..
My car is 3 months old and has only 1934km !!!

The mechanic will call me back because I don't understand how replacing a mechanical piece could solve my issue (the power steering went back after stopping/restarting the car), maybe they'll also change the control unit.

pxr5

Post by pxr5 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:47 pm

I don't think a 'steering rack' is a purely mechanical thing these days. I had the HUD changed on my A7 due to a rattle (I wish I hadn't bothered). Due to calibration issues Audi also had to change the steering rack and column afterwards. Good luck as you seem to be having a bad time of it with this car.
HSE D240. Caesium Blue. Lunar/Light Oyster interior.

shadow

Post by shadow » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:16 pm

That would explain it. Indeed it seems that there is a motor directly connected to the steering rack, but I wonder if the control unit must be replaced too.
If everything's resolved this week (the spare parts are available in 48h) I can let it pass, and enjoy this car I like so much. But if anything else happens it will be tough though.

shadow

Post by shadow » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:01 am

So, the mechanic told me that it's the control unit of the steering rack that needs to be replaced because it had a fault.
Fully electric power steering is the future but when faulty it's much more dangerous than an hydraulic one (+/- electrically assisted)

ecape

Post by ecape » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:32 pm

It seems that this computer-assisted steering system is not designed as a fail-safe one !
:evil:

shadow

Post by shadow » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:48 am

Just picked it up, everything's seems to be in order after replacing the control unit (I'm waiting for the mechanic work sheet).

slamey@msn.com

Re: Power steering assistance reduced > stuck [solved]

Post by slamey@msn.com » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:01 pm

I had exactly the same fault and currently Stratstone's don't seem capable of finding out how / why it happened

slamey@msn.com

Re: Power steering assistance reduced > stuck [solved]

Post by slamey@msn.com » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:36 pm

Stratstone's are now saying that this loss of power steering has only occurred in diesel versions and mine is the 1st with a petroleum engine ?
I don't see why the fuel would make any difference to what is clearly an electronic issue and they are just Hopi g it goes away
They had my car for 2 days and couldn't replicate the fault and the diagnostics did not show anything so they just gave it back
Such appalling customer service !