New to Jag / E-Pace - A Few Questions: Toolkit, Start Stop, Sensors

All Jaguar E-Pace related discussions
Ron Swanson

New to Jag / E-Pace - A Few Questions: Toolkit, Start Stop, Sensors

Post by Ron Swanson » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:16 pm

Hi,

I recently picked up my first Jaguar. It's a September 2019 (3K miles) E-Pace R-Dynamic SE D150 AW and I have a few questions, if I may.

Firstly, this was a weird time to be buying a car especially one that I have never sat in before. It was a big gamble buying this without ever sitting in one let alone test driving one. This was extra weird because of the fact that the JLR dealer showroom caught fire two days before pickup, resulting in an unusual transaction sequence :)

I have a few questions. I realise I could contact the dealer but I think it's best to get user responses first.

Sensors
1a. The Key Features listed on the website stated "Forward-facing Camera". I can not find this, when parking only a rear camera is shown. Icons / text for 'cameras' is greyed out. It could be that the RD SE does not have front cameras as standard and that it is an upgrade that never happened? Can I physically check where the forward camera should be? Maybe the Key Features text is incorrect, but could it be possible the front camera is deactivated or removed?

1b. The Key Features lists 'Pedestrian Contact Sensing'. Again I can not see if this exists or not. How can I tell if I have it, and more importantly how can I tell if it works!

1c. When parking / manouvering "sometimes" the screen will show an image of the car and the 360% sensors. I say sometimes but it does not always happen. Does this only work when you get really close to an object / wall / fence? Is there an option to force it on?

e.g. I am listening to the radio and the display shows the station. Then I pull into a car park and start manouvering around cars into a bay. The graphic does not appear (sometimes) until I am half way in even though whilst in a forward manouver I am inches from the parked cars in front. I would expect to be able to press a button to force it to the screen. I notice that the P >>>> light turns orange but the screen is still the radio or sat nav. Pressing P >>>>> just turns the light off then it comes back on again,

Start / Stop and Parking Brake(s)
I have driven manuals for 38 years with just a few autos when hiring.

This E-Pace does not seem intuitive with the various parking options.

2a. When in queuing traffic I press the P button on the gear stick if it is clear there is a long wait. The engine auto shuts off. Is this the correct procedure?

2b. Sometimes the engine will start up again even when my foot is on the foot brake. I can understand if I released the pressure slightly that it would fire up but on two occassions I have been parked up, gear in P, engine turned off, no feet on any pedal and the engine started up again after a couple of minutes. Why did that happen?

2c. Underneath the steering wheel and near the door there is a silver Brake switch. I believe this is the handbrake. What is the function of this and when would you use it? When parked I just press the P on the gear stick. Is that not the same function?

Toolkit
The toolkit is looking rather sparse as shown in the attached image.

q888114.jpg

I can see:

* Tyre repair kit
* Towing attachment
* Lock nut key
* White funnel (presumed for Ad Blue)

Is there anything else that should be in there as standard? What about misfueling reset device?

Thanks.

boba

Re: New to Jag / E-Pace - A Few Questions: Toolkit, Start Stop, Sensors

Post by boba » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:35 pm

The 360 degree camera system was an extra so you probably just have the standard 360 degree sensors. You have options how they operate. Mine come on automatically when speed drops below about 5 mph and you are close to an object. If you select the parking sensors by pressing the icon, I think it is second from left, you will be presented with the parking display. Press the 2 cogs on that screen, not those on the main screen, then select how you want the sensors to operate.
Regarding the parking brake, yes that is on the right hand side of the dashboard. It does do the same as pressing the P button and I think the separate parking brake has been removed from the 2021 facelifted version.
The stop/start is very dependent upon the state of the battery charge. Even fully charged it seems to restart the engine after about 20 seconds.
I can’t comment on the toolkit because I’ve got a spare wheel, so have an enhanced kit.

Taurus

Post by Taurus » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:54 pm

Hi, I'll try and answer some of your questions, the mis-fuelling device was omitted a long time ago, if you used the wrong nozzle at filling station the valve in the filler neck would shut, the device was a bit of plastic you pushed down the filler tube to release the valve, nothing else in standard tool kit, the white funnel is for refilling from jerry-can, the engine will re-start when electrical load has pulled battery level to a set voltage, the silver lever is the parking brake, if you press it when stationary it will hold the car until you touch accelerator, without engine stopping, the forward facing camera is in the interior mirror and is used for traffic sign recognition, pedestrian contact sensing is in case you hit a pedestrian the bonnet has an automatic lift sensor that lifts the rear of the bonnet, hope this helps, Tony ( can't help with surround cameras, I don't have that)
E-Pace SE 180d, Caldera red, Jet trim, fixed panoramic roof, privacy glass, 19" 5 spoke satin dark grey wheels.

twabrigs

Post by twabrigs » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:47 pm

just to clarify a point of difference between boba and Taurus, Taurus is correct about the silver parking brake button, it holds the car for example in traffic until you touch the accelerator. The difference is that if you select P and want to set off you have to put your foot on the brake, shift the selector into D and then off you go which is much more cumbersome.
April 2018, D180 R-Dynamic HSE in Fuji White. Black Pack, 20" black wheels, panoramic roof, privacy glass.

Jph

Post by Jph » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:49 pm

Don’t put your car in park unless you’re actually parked. If you get rear ended at a red light in park your transmission will be destroyed.

When you come to a stop in traffic, put your foot on the brake and leave the transmission in drive. The transmission is designed to cope with this.

You also have the advantage of your brake lights being on and all four wheels being braked, so you are less likely to be shunted into an intersection or the vehicle ahead of you.

The park brake only operates on the rear wheels and these are lifted off the ground in a rear end impact.

Cheers
John

ERY

Post by ERY » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:21 am

If you want to live a stress free life and not be duly concerned when and where a rear end shunt might occur. Then when coming to a halt for a short period leave the car in 'D' and apply the the 'hand brake, moving off by use of the throttle releases the brake.
Using the gearstick 'P' takes it out of 'drive' and I use it only when getting out of the car for any reason, or an extended long stop where I might nod off through boredom.
The engine will fire up automatically when it senses the batteries voltage is low enough to deem it necessary, such effects can be outside air temperature, engine temperaure, aircon, heating, lights, cooling fans etc. My Discovery Sport would fire up the engine at any excuse, but my E-Pace works perfectly (when I forget to turn it off before setting out)
MY18 EPace P250
Previous MY15 D180 Discovery Sport

Ron Swanson

Post by Ron Swanson » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:50 pm

Many thanks for the replies. This has helped a lot.

Just to address the "at a stop and leave it in D" maybe I am old school, and maybe my driving style is for manuals only, but when queing at lights (rather than a quick junction) I always assumed it is best to be in neutral with the handbrake on. The reason for doing this is so that if you are rear ended you do not get shunted forward and thus you will then have to pay for the damage to the car in front. If you have your foot on the brake the impact could make you take your foot off and you trundle in the one in front. This could be the same with autos? If you sit in a queue in D with your foot on the brake a rear end could make you say "WTF", turn around, foot slip off the brake and the D will then (slowly) drive you into the one infront?

That takes me back to the question on pedestrian collision sensors. If there is such a device on this car then will it also prevent slow distance car collision like the above?

---

I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

Wing Mirrors
Sometimes it's good to manually turn these in whilst driving. If in a narrow lane with foilage or an oncoming van with extra width wing mirrors sticking out I like to pull the switch to fold them in then reactivate them again. On previous cars you just pull back on the mirror adjustment switch but it does not work with this. It seems the only way to fold them in is to lock the car when the ignition is off.

Paint Coating and General Cleaning
The finish on this 18 month car is impeccable. There is no chip, ding, mark, or swirl of any kind anywhere on the body. The colour is Silicon Silver and maybe it had a special coating applied when new and the coating is still strong. If yes, then how long will this last? As usual I was offered a 'do you want fries with that' lifeshine coating offer, which I declined but I wonder if it already had this coating from new.

And what's the best products to use for manual car washing this?

Taurus

Post by Taurus » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:06 pm

Hi, the pedestrian protection system will NOT prevent a collision, it is only to help reduce damage to a pedestrian, sensors in the bumper activate the system and cause the bonnet to raise at the windscreen end, to create more space between engine and bonnet to hopefully reduce injury, the mirrors can be folded into "garage mode" but will not re-open on the next unlocking, this is to prevent damage to mirrors when leaving a garage or tight space, Tony
E-Pace SE 180d, Caldera red, Jet trim, fixed panoramic roof, privacy glass, 19" 5 spoke satin dark grey wheels.

pxr5

Post by pxr5 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:50 pm

I've always thought the E-Pace is a bit odd the way the handbrake (EPB) works. I agree, it's not right to sit with your foot on the brake when temporarily stopped. Nor, is it is good to put the car in park when stopped. The obvious solution is the put the handbrake on. This is my first jaguar. All my previous 5 cars were Audis. The handbrake would auto-apply when stopped and you could then your take feet off pedals, before moving off again when the handbrake would auto-release - seems the sensible option to me. When i asked the dealer about the handbrake, he said that no one uses the 'manual' handbrake on the E-pace, but they had to put a switched one in for legal reasons, and to simply sit with ones foot on the brake - not a good system in my opinion. I admit I'm lazy: I just sit with my foot on the brake now (the EPB switch is not in the best location either). But for the reason already mentioned (lurching forward when rear-ended) and the fact that they dazzle the person behind, it's poor practice.
HSE D240. Caesium Blue. Lunar/Light Oyster interior.

mfl

Post by mfl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:29 pm

Interesting discussion. In three years of ownership I’ve tried various approaches to the ‘temporary stop’ problem, but none seemed satisfactory. But I’m now sold on using the EPB switch. It had never occurred to me to use the hand brake while leaving the gearbox in Drive. I had thought the EPB switch was a waste of space, to be honest. I’m not bothered about it only working on the rear brakes because if I’m rear-end shunted hard enough to lift the rear wheels off the ground I reckon rolling forward would absorb some of the impact and maybe save me from whiplash. Sod the car in front. I’m looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. Yes the EPB switch isn’t brilliantly located, but once stopped you can go looking for it. But don’t get me started on the lane departure warning switch that you want to be able to reach on the move - what idiot put it right down there, next to the tailgate release???
D180 AWD Auto, Firenze Red. Feb 2018