Dynamic-i mode & D/S selector

All Jaguar E-Pace related discussions
shadow

Dynamic-i mode & D/S selector

Post by shadow » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:17 am

When in Dynamic-i mode if everything is on dynamic (including gear), does it change anything to select S instead of D on the gear lever ?
E-Pace MY21 - P200 Flexfuel - R-Dynamic HSE - BluefireBlue

Taurus

Re: Dynamic-i mode & D/S selector

Post by Taurus » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:31 am

Hi, don't know if it differs on the new model, but if you select S it allows you to select gears manually, also with Dynamic selected car will hold lower gears for longer, allowing more spirited progress, I usually use mine in Sport and Dynamic all the time, being able to select gears is also useful to allow engine braking to assist long hill descents, Tony.
E-Pace SE 180d, Caldera red, Jet trim, fixed panoramic roof, privacy glass, 19" 5 spoke satin dark grey wheels.

shadow

Post by shadow » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:21 pm

Thanks for your reply. On this model I can choose whether gears can be selected manually "only in S" or "on both : S & D".

boba

Post by boba » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:36 pm

I think all E-paces with paddles have the option to use them in sport only or in drive and sport. Mine is a 2018 car and I have that option on mine

mattrapier

Post by mattrapier » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:03 pm

Putting the gearbox into sport mode makes a great deal more difference to the driving experience than Dynamic mode. Once you start driving in Sport it runs in much lower gears so performance is rather more twitchy, and you always have masses of power instantly available as you are running around at 3-4000 rpm and its even more prone to just sitting at 6000rpm and screaming up through the gears when you accelerate than usual (I have a P250) . Its fun in short bursts, but the related fuel consumption is spectacular. I have mine set to allow manual gear selection only in S mode, I very occasionally use manual gears when going down a really steep long hill to get a bit of engine braking. Otherwise manual gear shifting isn't a great experience with a 9 speed box and I can't really see the point in any other sort of normal driving.
R-Dynamic HSE P250 Black, with Black trim and Black wheels

shadow

Post by shadow » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:14 pm

You’re right !
Agreed for the manual, only usefull during long downhills.

But what does change the « gear » setting in Dynamic-i ? The speed of changing gear in manual mode ?

mattrapier

Post by mattrapier » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:29 pm

Its really difficult to know exactly what Dynamic mode does, but I'm not at all convinced it makes any practical difference to how the gearbox works - I think thats all down to selecting Sports mode. I found this marketing spiel from jaguar, which predates the e-pace: https://www.jaguar.co.uk/about-jaguar/j ... amics.html that suggests it does all sorts of clever things with adjustable dampers and steering. Certainly the car feels a bit more engaging in Dynamic, but that might just be because my dials go Red (digital dash).
R-Dynamic HSE P250 Black, with Black trim and Black wheels

Jiggyjag

Post by Jiggyjag » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:18 am

I tend to find that there is less hesitation to change down the gears in Dynamic when pressing the accelerator.
So in Sport it holds the lower gears longer and in dynamic it selects them quicker when pressing the accelerator?
This also matches my experience with my XE 180D where I used Dynamic all of the time to overcome the hesitation issues.
Curr: MY20 E-Pace P200 Chequered Flag, Photon red
Prev: MY18 XE P250 Portfolio RWD, Loire blue / Oyster
Prev: MY17 XE D180 Prestige Auto, Odyssey red / Latte

twabrigs

Post by twabrigs » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:10 pm

I think jiggyjag describes it well. Sport the difference is clear, definitely changes down earlier and holds higher revs. Dynamic seems to increase throttle sensitivity.

If I need to do a rapid overtake I'll knock it into Sport and Dynamic, but leaving it like that all the time makes it a much less smooth drive.
April 2018, D180 R-Dynamic HSE in Fuji White. Black Pack, 20" black wheels, panoramic roof, privacy glass.