Post by Briarwood » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:12 am

Did they replace the coolant pump?

Jalees

Re: Very loud fan noise

Post by Jalees » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:47 am

Kram wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:34 am
Hi Everyone.
We just took delivery of a new P300 Down Under about a month ago (retired the 15 year old XJ Sport to the garage for our kids) and you guessed it - a week later the car sounded like it was going to launch itself into space. The roaring fan noise was so loud people just turned and stared as you drove up the road.
Our very helpful Jag dealer came by the next day, dropped off a loaner and took the P300 back to the dealership.
Came back 2 days later all shiny and fixed but it has started up again today doing the same thing, mild day and only drove for 3 minutes so sounds like an ongoing issue with this model.
The dealer is very helpful but doesn't earn brownie points by making out as though he's never heard of the problem before. Don't you just love it when they pretend you're the only one on the planet with the same prob?
Anyway - sounds like this has been an issue for a while elsewhere so any new ideas on the cause?

Well it's the coolant pump for sure which sends signals to fan to run at full speed and non stop till the point you switch engine off.
If dealer is unaware then your best bet is call jaguar assistance play dumb like oh my God car is making very loud noise from engine bay I don't feel comfortable and so on... They will come out to you make a small report most probably would tell you it's the coolant pump and you get your diagnosis done. Then get it replaced under warranty.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

Kram

Post by Kram » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:34 am

Thanks for that KJ!
Dealer is coming by this afternoon with loaner car and picking ours up for fan replacement.
Sounds like there must be a design/manufacturing fault with these ones so I guess sooner or later there will be a part modification and it will all go away.
Just a lot of trouble for everyone with one of these models.

Williamsplace

Post by Williamsplace » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:11 am

Hi All,
I had my water pump replaced in July last year, it was successful in stopping the fan from running at full speed, now I have noticed since the colder weather I normally have the air con turned off, but when I do the fan runs constantly at what I would say is quarter to half speed no mater what the temp outside or the engine is, however when I push the heater Auto button on the dash, and both orange lights are on, the fan stops, and then runs as normal, not running when heating up the engine, and then turning slowly now and again when warm, and the gauge never goes above normal.

has anyone else noticed this anomaly ?
William.
P250 R-Dynamic HSE Corris Gray

Jalees

Post by Jalees » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:22 am

Kram wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:34 am
Thanks for that KJ!
Dealer is coming by this afternoon with loaner car and picking ours up for fan replacement.
Sounds like there must be a design/manufacturing fault with these ones so I guess sooner or later there will be a part modification and it will all go away.
Just a lot of trouble for everyone with one of these models.
Hi,
Well people over here earlier got fan replacement done which was of no avail.
You can ask dealer to please check fault codes which would point to faulty coolant pump.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

Profcfrost

Post by Profcfrost » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:36 pm

My P250 (nine months old 4.5k miles) has just started with this problem. Sounds like a jet engine outside tke car. The noise kicks in after 10 to 15 mins. So, whatever the problem it's still not fixed from new. Guess I'll have to contact my dealer.

Oggie13

Post by Oggie13 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:28 pm

Hi Profcfrost, based on my experience, I would call Jaguar Assistance straight away. See my post dated in October last year. The service was great.

Jalees

Post by Jalees » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:46 pm

Williamsplace wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:11 am
Hi All,
I had my water pump replaced in July last year, it was successful in stopping the fan from running at full speed, now I have noticed since the colder weather I normally have the air con turned off, but when I do the fan runs constantly at what I would say is quarter to half speed no mater what the temp outside or the engine is, however when I push the heater Auto button on the dash, and both orange lights are on, the fan stops, and then runs as normal, not running when heating up the engine, and then turning slowly now and again when warm, and the gauge never goes above normal.

has anyone else noticed this anomaly ?
William.
I think the behaviour you have mentioned as what you are doing looks normal.
When you turn on AC , fan is going to run to cool the AC condenser in engine bay so it has to run at some speed not at full blast, since there is only one fan out there which works for radiator and also for AC condenser cooling. When you say you put climate control ON that means whatever temperature you have set inside the car that doesn't require to start AC compressor and hence no need to start the fan to cool the AC condenser. Maybe outside air and your heating mix is enough to maintain that temperature. Unless you go below 16 degree then AC is ON.

Thanks.
KJ

Williamsplace

Post by Williamsplace » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:24 am

Hi KJ,
Thanks for your explanation, I can see the logic in this, however it does not explain why the fan runs all the time at half speed when the weather is bellow zero , and the engine is cold or warm ? when the AC is OFF. which is strange when the engine needs to warm up quickly ?

Thanks,
William.
P250 R-Dynamic HSE Corris Gray

Jalees

Post by Jalees » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:12 am

Williamsplace wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:24 am
Hi KJ,
Thanks for your explanation, I can see the logic in this, however it does not explain why the fan runs all the time at half speed when the weather is bellow zero , and the engine is cold or warm ? when the AC is OFF. which is strange when the engine needs to warm up quickly ?

Thanks,
William.
I think you are saying you start car first thing in morning say for example.
You turn the AC ON say for example.
Outside temp is 0 degrees.
And you see fan running.
If that is the case I guess it will run the fan,
Now concern is it's already cold outside and at the same time engine also needs to warm up but fan is running.
Engine coolant at that point is not circulating so it's not reaching radiator where fan is running, but when engine is warm or require water to be cooled it starts to circulate and the radiator fan cools it down and cycle repeat.
You can try this out your inside temp to 16 degrees, anything below 16 I guess starts AC.
Shut off interior fan blower.
Start the engine first thing in morning and observe engine fan should not run. And when at proper engine temperature it would start to run mildly would then stop and cycle would repeat.
Then later you can try the same putting AC ON fan would start immediately no matter what temperature is outside.

Also I don't know if you have noticed mine some times even when I switch off engine o can hear fan running for few seconds. Usually it's after too many start stop and short journeys. I read somewhere it's for cooling engine for turbo related.

Just for checking purposes you can try out.

Thanks.
KJ