Very loud fan noise

All Jaguar E-Pace related discussions
Williamsplace

Re: Very loud fan noise

Post by Williamsplace » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 am

Just to clarify..

1. With the AC turned OFF:
I start the engine from cold and the fan runs at half speed.
the fan runs at this speed constantly.

2. With the AC turned ON (auto setting):
I start the engine from cold and the fan does NOT run.
the fan will run sometimes slowly when the engine is normal temp.

when the engine is warm or cold I turn the AC ON and the fan stops. I turn it OFF again and the fan starts to run at Half speed again.

This second case I expect to be normal, however I don't understand why the fan runs at half speed when I turn off the AC.
this does not make any sense..

or am I just going crazy ?

Thanks,
William.
P250 R-Dynamic HSE Corris Gray

Jalees

Post by Jalees » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:58 am

Williamsplace wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 am
Just to clarify..

when the engine is warm or cold I turn the AC ON and the fan stops. I turn it OFF again and the fan starts to run at Half speed again.

This second case I expect to be normal, however I don't understand why the fan runs at half speed when I turn off the AC.

Thanks,
William.
Nope you are not going crazy something is not right as a standard. I'll try all those points on mine and re confirm when I get time.

Thanks.
KJ

mroute

Post by mroute » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:43 pm

Hi Everyone

I wanted to post this firstly to say a big thank you to this forum and particularly the posters on this thread. If it wasn't for you I would have been even more concerned by the jet engine getting ready to take off under my cubs bonnet, so thank you all.

Secondly I wanted to run through what my story is just in case there are still people out there yet to experience this and put their mind at ease as there is a solution, also there are painless ways of resolving it. Once again it was users on this thread that have given me this guidance it is far from my idea or discovery.

My E-Pace started playing up last week after a 20 minute drive. It manifested as a very loud fan noise under the bonnet, no overheating. Up until that point my 10 month old Jag had been very reliable with no issues from the car and build quality has been excellent.

I thought that it was just a random thing and did not consider it much till the next day. The following day I drove the car and low and behold after about 15 to 20 minutes this fan started up full blast and audible over the radio. Worse still when I came to a stop at a junction it was so loud it became embarrassing.

I left it again thinking it still was still just a random passing thing but on day three when it happened I took to Google and did some searches, noisy fan E-Pace, Loud E-Pace fan and so on. I then found a few sites with threads similar to this, but this one was by far the largest so I spent a few hours going through it.

The common thing I read was avoid dealers and speak with Jaguar Assist. This hasn't worked for everyone, especially overseas, but did appear to work for those in the UK which is where I am.

I rang them, they were very helpful and said someone would be out that day. A guy came hooked up the computer but to be honest he knew exactly what it was, the computer just confirmed it.

He said there are two pumps in the system, a mechanical one that works from the drive train of the engine, and an electric one. The reason for the two is so one can still circulate coolant when the engine is off for example during Stop Start or at the end of a journey when the engine is still very hot.

It is the electric one that is the fault in this issue and it is telling the ECU that it is broken. In response the ECU is being cautious and as such spinning the main fan up to full speed just in case.

It is for this reason that the car is safe to drive and also why the ECU disables the Stop Start as cooled coolant would not be circulated once the engine stops.

Anyway he ordered a hire car for me and the following day a full specked Range Rover Velar turned up and the guy who dropped it off took mine over to the dealership in Liverpool.

I did get an abrupt call from the dealership, saying some guy has just dropped off your car and we don't know anything about it. I pointed out this was nothing to do with me and more to do with Jaguar Assist, at which point he started to be a bit more civil and confirmed the registration and booked it in. My guess is from his tone it might be left for some time but at least I have a decent car in the interim.

I cannot fault Jaguar Assist at all, they have been excellent and a delight to deal with.

Fingers crossed my little cat will be sorted soon and I can get on with loving it.

So thank you everyone who has contributed here and hopefully I have also added a bit more content which will go to helping others.

luis88

Post by luis88 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:29 am

Okay so had my water/coolant pump replaced due to this issue and all seemed fine (loud fan noise is no more).

However, I now get a ‘Low coolant warning’ appear regularly. I went back to Jag to have coolant topped up but warning returned.

Anyone else faced this after the initial fix?

Oggie13

Post by Oggie13 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:00 am

Mine did that just after I had it fixed, probably due to air trapped in the coolant circuit somewhere. My dealer topped it up and asked me to bring it back again if it reoccurred. I'd take it back again, if I were you, to get them to top up again and also check for any leaks. I know it's a bit of a bind but it's their responsibility to get it right.

Jalees

Post by Jalees » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:31 pm

Oggie13 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:00 am
Mine did that just after I had it fixed, probably due to air trapped in the coolant circuit somewhere. My dealer topped it up and asked me to bring it back again if it reoccurred. I'd take it back again, if I were you, to get them to top up again and also check for any leaks. I know it's a bit of a bind but it's their responsibility to get it right.
Yes my coolant level kept dropping for a while after replacing the coolant pump, anyway I had some top up bottle from jaguar earlier so from time to time I had to top it up.
Now level looks ok it's been 5 months, fingers crossed, waiting for summer to see actual behaviour.

Regards,
KJ

NZE-PACE

Post by NZE-PACE » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:23 am

My wife bought a new E-Pace late 2019 in NZ. Immediately notice a rumble up from from about 80kph plus. Diagnosed faulty right front bearing, both sides replaced. At about 10000kms the water pump started coming at full speed when operating temperature was reached, same when at rest with outside ambient temperature at about 25C. It sounds like a jet plane at take off. Called into Jag Dealer last Friday to enquire and they said there are problems with the water pumps in this series, she has the SP250. They recommended she booked it in and they would look to see if it has thrown a diagnostic code. If so they would replace the electric pump. It had and they did with a new “modified pump” under warranty.

That ties in with the different part number. My advice is if the fans coming on at full blast and you are not climbing a mountain in Afghanistan in summer get it checked.

Williamsplace

Post by Williamsplace » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:29 am

Jalees wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:58 am
Williamsplace wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 am
Just to clarify..

Thanks,
William.
Nope you are not going crazy something is not right as a standard. I'll try all those points on mine and re confirm when I get time.

Thanks.
KJ

Hi all, OK mine was back at the dealers last week, they said there was a problem with the software for the A/C and cooling system so they updated it and now it seems fine, no more fan running when cold, and we shall see if the A/C works when the weather warms up.

Thanks.
William.
P250 R-Dynamic HSE Corris Gray

Carolannwhite

Post by Carolannwhite » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 pm

My e pace was also sounding like a jet engine. First service with only 3000 miles on the clock the water pump was replaced.
It is a p250 r dynamic hse

D5GUN

Post by D5GUN » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:13 pm

Same model as Carolannwhite. First service with around 10k miles and water pump was replaced under warranty as it, too, sounded like a jet engine! seems to be a common problem - hopefully the new ones are from a better batch. Dealer was very good - Rybrook Huddersfield. Not cheap, getting a dealer service, but for peace of mind worth it in my opinion. They were very professional and what I'd expect of a premium marque.