Engine Amber Warning Light

All Jaguar E-Pace related discussions
gfanning

Engine Amber Warning Light

Post by gfanning » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:57 pm

Hi Guys

Got my first E Pace last week and on my first drive got an amber engine warning light.
I brought it back to the dealer the next day.

Dealer is saying petrol was put into the Def tank and can't explain how it happened as they don't have any petrol at their premises.

They can't answer why the amber engine warning came on and not the Def amber warning.
Also they are not 100% sure what was put into the def tank.

Just wondering has anybody came across this issue before ?

I am asking them for a written report.

I am getting the car back on Wednesday.

Gary

Gazza1

Re: Engine Amber Warning Light

Post by Gazza1 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:46 pm

Hi, is your car a low mileage ex-demonstrator. If it is then sorry to say you’re going to have problems. Jaguar seem to have used a lot of 240d cars as demonstrators and ,as you will find out, these diesels cannot cope with type of driving that demonstrator cars are subjected too.I know because I bought one.

Jph

Post by Jph » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:04 am

That’s really disappointing!
You should make sure that they replace the SCR CAT (the one after the DEF injection point) as this will now be contaminated with whatever was in the DEF tank.
Was it a demo car?
Cheers
John

simon.knell

Post by simon.knell » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:13 am

Hi Gary,

Yep, it is a very common problem with E Pace AND the Land Rover Evoques and Sports. Search through the forum and you will find excellent write ups on the problems with Engine Management Warning lights - it's down to the DPF and the design fault that JLR are refusing to acknowledge or accept.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but but my E Pace for example (8000 miles on the clock) has had this problem for almost a year and its been back to the garage probably 10 times.
I've now had to raise the complaint with the Financial Ombudsman as JLR just don't want to help. The issue they tell me is my 'drive style' I drive the car over short distances - well, naturally due to lockdown - and this is causing the DPF not to regenerate and burn soot in the filter and even when i do drive for 30 mins minimum at a recommended speed as per JLR, it still doesn't remove the problem. And of course, for the past 3 months people have not been able to drive anywhere due to lockdown so garages and dealerships now, are having more and more cars returned as the EMWL keeps coming on.

Not a happy place to be but I am not letting this go and will see it out with the FO as I was never told about 'drive style' when i bought the car last year. It doesn't happen on the F Pace for example as it is built using a completely different chassis as the E Pace, Evoque & Sports are all the same - allegedly.

Fingers crossed for you!

Simon....

gfanning

Post by gfanning » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:38 am

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the replies.
Hopefully it is not going to be a beginning of a Saga !
The car is due back today or tomorrow, i will let you know what they say and how i get on.
Once again, thanks very much for your comments.
Gary

gfanning

Post by gfanning » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:33 pm

Got the car back this afternoon.

the report from service department basically says that they checked the fault codes and and found diesel exhaust fluid pump had generated a code of P20E9-85

They carried out a flush of entire def system and replaced def pump as per manufacturers instruction.
They carried out robust road test.

Fingers crossed thats it hopefully.

mfl

Post by mfl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:59 am

I’ve been very lucky and not had any DPF problems in 2 years plus and over 20000 miles, so not everyone’s affected. Good luck!
D180 AWD Auto, Firenze Red. Feb 2018

simon.knell

Post by simon.knell » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:49 pm

I believe it is only cars built within a certain time-frame and with a specific chassis number - but good for you - you're one of the lucky ones!!