Grill surround and grill

The place to discuss everything else..
Jagster

Grill surround and grill

Post by Jagster » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:18 pm

What does everyone use to clean the grill and the surround? The grill specifically is quite fiddly to wash and dry properly I wonder if I’m missing a trick and there may be an easier way to do it

Pwood

Re: Grill surround and grill

Post by Pwood » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:05 pm

I use a Metrovac Sidekick dryer to dry out the various grills on the car as there are a few and no amount of towel drying will stop runs. If you have a leaf blower then that would probably be okay if your careful. . As for actual cleaning I use Bilthamber Autofoam and pressure wash it off. I then use a detailing brush with lots of shampoo and pressure wash that off if it’s really grimy as I find a thick soft wash pad gets into the grill well enough most of the the time. Look at Microfibre Maddness wash mitts or pads as they are soft enough.

https://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/collect ... rush-large Albeit cheaper ones by Autofiness etc are fine unless you have gloss black trim.

If yours is an R Dynamic with Gloss black grill then you want to avoid rubbing it much as possible as it will scratch up really easily.

Jagster

Post by Jagster » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:11 pm

It is dynamic and I’ve noticed how easy it is to put faint scratches into it which I’m sure as careful as any of us are, is unavoidable to a degree, and it must have taken 3 drying towels to get the car dry, I may look into getting some sort of car blower/dryer as there are so many areas where water reappears from, the boot lid to name one, as soon as a opened it to wipe the sill it was as if it was raining, the back of the car was wet as before as I’m sure you’ve found out yourself by now :lol: thanks for the tips.. again

Pwood

Post by Pwood » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:12 pm

If I was buying a car dryer again I would probably buy this https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/big ... -mini.aspx albeit the smaller one will do the grills, wheel and the tailgate which is a haven for water🙄

Jagster

Post by Jagster » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:45 am

Thanks for the link, what’s the reason you would choose the big boi over the metrovac? I’m asking as you clearly have more experience with these appliances so you have better insight

Pwood

Post by Pwood » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:24 pm

Sorry for the late reply. The main reason for wanting the Big Boi over metrovac is the reduced noise levels. My mate has the similar Metro vac one and it’s unbelievably loud and heavy in comparison to Big Boi range. Reviews comparing the two all say the same thing.

Take care near the drivers door handle as the key access for emergencies comes off. Local pro company had the same thing occur with an Evoque.

zippster

Post by zippster » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:40 am

I use a small wheel woolly to clean the grill, and just a microfibre towel to dry. not marks or scratches as yet

pxr5

Post by pxr5 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:28 am

I had a Metrovac Sidekick and it gave up the ghost after a year, so I can't really recommend these. I went to change the motor brushes, but they were fine after I got them out, so no idea why it died. Instead I bought a cheapo portable leaf for blower for £16 off ebay and it's been fine.
HSE D240. Caesium Blue. Lunar/Light Oyster interior.