Keyless Entry Double Locking

The place to discuss everything else..
NIJU

Keyless Entry Double Locking

Post by NIJU » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:30 pm

I am hoping someone can throw some light on this topic please

I have an R Dynamic PS250 with keyless entry.

On the passenger door, I press the button once & the car single locks with a short indicator flash. Within 3 seconds I press the button twice, & the car double locks with a long indicator flash & an audible tone. This is exactly as it should do as I understand it.

However, when I attempt to do the same with the drivers door, it single locks normally on the first button press, but when I press the button twice within 3 seconds, it doesn't double lock at all, & there is no long flash of the indicators or an audible tone. I have found that to double lock the car, I need to leave a gap of about 10 seconds after the single press, before I press the button twice. Today, this occurred. I single locked the door, & about 5 seconds later, pressed the button again, & the car unlocked, & no I did not grab the handle.

Jiggyjag

Re: Keyless Entry Double Locking

Post by Jiggyjag » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:31 pm

I find it very intermittent on the driver's side front and rear doors when locking.
Sometimes passenger side front can miss pressing door handle indentation.
Passenger side rear door always works for locking and all doors unlock when grabbing door handle.
I've put it down to where the sensors are - unless some of my sensors are not working ?
Curr: MY20 E-Pace P200 Chequered Flag, Photon red
Prev: MY18 XE P250 Portfolio RWD, Loire blue / Oyster
Prev: MY17 XE D180 Prestige Auto, Odyssey red / Latte

mfl

Post by mfl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:20 pm

Mine works fine on all doors, most of the time (hey, it’s an E Pace!). Just for clarity I press once to lock and once again, not twice, to double lock. Are newer models different? Obviously you need to keep all your other fingers clear of the door handle while locking.
D180 AWD Auto, Firenze Red. Feb 2018

Jampie

Post by Jampie » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:26 pm

I only press once for locking....why double locking ?

mfl

Post by mfl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:50 pm

Double locking sets the part of the alarm that responds to movement in the car. It also deadlocks the inside handles so no one can gain access by breaking a window and reaching in to open the door. Single locking sets the basic alarm and lock only. Use single locking if you are leaving someone in the car, who may move around or need to get out. Or if you are leaving a window partially open for a pet, say. Otherwise best to double lock.
D180 AWD Auto, Firenze Red. Feb 2018

Michael-EPace33

Post by Michael-EPace33 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:02 am

Hi,

I always double lock, ie press once to lock and press once again within 3 seconds to double lock. It's worked if I get that beep at the end. I find you have to do the second press while the mirrors are still moving. Occasionally it seems to ignore my press and on those occasions I breathe on my finger and it seems to work then.

The Jaguar Remote app only shows a single state of Locked and it would be better if it showed both. By the way it's a useful thingy as it showed me that I had a window partly open once last week.

Michael
MY20 RdynS P200 Borasco Grey

mattrapier

Post by mattrapier » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:54 pm

You aren't supposed to press it once, then double press. Its press once, very short gap, press again so for me the 2nd press is usually while the mirrors are still folding. The sensor which detects the key is in the driver's door, so that's the one that should work best. If this is unreliable change the battery in the key, if its going flat then its much less likely to recognise the press on the door handle, its the main symptom you get of a battery going flat. I think there is supposed to be a warning on the dash of low battery in the key, but I have never seen that.
R-Dynamic HSE P250 Black, with Black trim and Black wheels

shadow

Post by shadow » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:52 pm

For me, it works like it’s supposed to on 3 doors, the only one with an issue is the driver’s one.. working exactly as NIJU said.
It worked fine for 10 days.. As I often lock the car after taking my daughter out of it these days I mostly use the rear right door but it’s annoying when I drive alone.

The strange thing is that it cannot come from the sensor because the first lock always work and even if the 2d doesn’t I just redo the 2 push and it works..
E-Pace MY21 - P200 Flexfuel - R-Dynamic HSE - BluefireBlue

shadow

Post by shadow » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:54 am

Tried again this morning worked perfectly on driver’s side but only if you let 2s before pressing again, if you do it too fast, doesn’t work on that door
E-Pace MY21 - P200 Flexfuel - R-Dynamic HSE - BluefireBlue

mattrapier

Post by mattrapier » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:18 pm

It really is worth trying replacing the battery in the key. Now I read these descriptions more carefully, all this unlocking itself, having to double tap again are all the sorts of things mind did which caused a trip to the dealer, and fixed by changing that key battery. Also worth trying the spare key to see if you get the same behaviour.
R-Dynamic HSE P250 Black, with Black trim and Black wheels