Jaguar E-Pace Forum banner

Battery charger

20K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  pxr5 
#1 ·
Ever since I had a BMW X5 fail on me with a dud battery, I've fitted a battery conditioner to every car I've had. I have a CTEK charger (MXS 7.0) which I would like to fit to my new E Pace - I believe the Jaguar-branded CTEK charger comes with a fitting kit for a socket in the boot - has anyone fitted this? Was it a dealer fit? If you fit yourself is there likely to be any issue with the warranty (the manual says that the battery should be removed for charging)?

#2 ·
I've used a CTEK MSX 5.0 on the E-Pace for 5 weeks when we went to Oz. I connected it to the battery terminals (you have to take the plastic cover off first), left the bonnet up & left the car unlocked (yes, it was in the garage ;-))
It was absolutely fine when we got back.

#3 ·
After my epace battery went flat when I left it at an airport for four weeks I got a solar powered conditioning charger from Halfords. You can buy an OBDII connector for these, so no need to go under the bonnet or have it wired in. I've since left the car for eight weeks and the battery appeared to be fully charged on my return. Started first time anyway.

It's a good investment. Believe me, you don't want to return from a long haul flight early on a wet cold morning and find your car won't start.

#4 ·
I also use the CTEK MSX 5.0 as this appears to be the same charger as Jaguar has for sale, I connected the pig tail connector to the battery terminals and purchased a CTEK extension cord (I think 3 meters) so I can charge it in or out of the garage with the bonnet open or closed, however the charger seems to get very hot but works well.

William.

#5 ·
I too use a CTEK charger, although a slightly larger model MSX 10.0. Have had the charger connected for periods lasting up to 10 days and all ok. Like Williamsplace I have connected a pig tail connector to the battery and fastened the other end to the underside of the battery cover with gaffer tape. Using the CTEK extension cord it's possible to close the bonnet and lock the car whilst on charge.

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses - I have the CTEK extension
lead and pigtail connector so I'll look at fitting it direct to the battery.

On my XJ it was recommended to fit the negative connector to an earth somewhere on the chassis rather than direct to the terminal. Apparently the battery monitor gets confused if the charger is connected directly. I take it there's been no issues connecting direct to the battery terminals?

#8 ·
As a matter of interest, I read a few years ago on a Land Rover forum that to help retain battery charge you should double lock and apply electronic handbrake, this means the car's sensors will go to sleep.
I also use a battery conditioner on my XK through the boot but I "lock" the boot open with screwdriver though the locking mechanism and follow the previous tips to speed up charging.
With the E-Pace if you don't lock the car or close the bonnet I'm sure it will take longer to charge. Obviously if you can't garage your car then it's a problem with electrics outdoors etc.

#10 ·
Hi. I bought the CTEC MSX 5.0 last week with pigtails and extension lead to connect to the battery which I have done. Very easy to connect and use whilst battery is still connected to the car. I now have stop/start working and No low battery warnings. A good bit of kit ideal to keep the battery in tip top condition as like you agwinn not much use at the moment due to lockdown. I have just ordered the lead to be able to charge from the Boot power socket from Halfords, so I can charge the battery which ever way I am pointing on the drive from my garage power socket.
Pete1952. P200 R Dynamic S 2019

#12 ·
Hi. Having bought the CTEK battery charger and connected the pigtails to the battery I bought the adaptor for charging through the boot power socket for convenience. I have now found out it is not a permanent live 12v outlet, BIG disappointment. It is no problem charging under the Bonnet as there is clearance for the cable even when the bonnet is shut, car locked and alarmed. The charger is a good piece of kit for cars with stop/start batteries, my car when up to temp has now stop/start working when taking the car out. I have not done many miles this year or long journeys and have seen LOW BATTERY WARNINGS on many trips. This has now disappeared with the use of my CTEK charger.
pete1952
P200 R Dynamic S Auto. 2019. 4000 mls
Metallic Paint,Memory seats,Adaptive indicators,Privacy glass,Spare wheel,

#13 ·
Pete 1952 said:
Hi. I bought the CTEC MSX 5.0 last week with pigtails and extension lead to connect to the battery which I have done. Very easy to connect and use whilst battery is still connected to the car. I now have stop/start working and No low battery warnings. A good bit of kit ideal to keep the battery in tip top condition as like you agwinn not much use at the moment due to lockdown. I have just ordered the lead to be able to charge from the Boot power socket from Halfords, so I can charge the battery which ever way I am pointing on the drive from my garage power socket.
Pete1952. P200 R Dynamic S 2019
Do you mean you can charge the battery by connecting a charger directly to the "plug" in the boot?

#14 ·
Hi Gfplux.. I bought the adaptor for the 12v socket in the boot not realising that it is not a permanent live socket. I now use the pigtails connected directly to the battery with the extension CTEK lead so no problem to reach my garage power socket. I am very pleased with the charger and the fact you can leave it connected for weeks at a time if necessary.
Pete1952. AWD P200 R Dynamic S. Mar 2019. 4500mls

#15 ·
Hi. I'm getting constant low battery warnings in my e pace now due to low use of the vehicle. This is despite leaving a solar charger connected to the OBD port when not in use. The car always starts OK, and runs fine. However I'm suspecting the battery may need attention and considering the CTEK MXS 5.0 Charger.

Just to clarify, this CTEK charger is alright for start/stop systems? And if so what mode should the charger be set to? It seems the only option is to connect the charger directly to the battery. I can put my car nose up to a garage door, where I can plug the charger in to. Are the supplied leads long enough to do this or do I need an extension (2.5m?). And can I close the bonnet with the cable run in place and the car locked and left?

Many thanks in advance.

#16 ·
Hi prx5. I was also having battery problems last year with battery warnings due to low use. I have since bought the MXS 5.0. I use the pig tail leads permanently connected to the battery very easy to fit and to connect to when required. There is plenty of space for the leads to come out when the bonnet is shut locked and alarmed. I also use the CTEK extension lead as I can leave the charger in the Garage and just have the leads coming outside to the plug connector under the bonnet. A good bit of kit for a modern day car with a stop /start battery which the MXS 5.0 is designed for. I have had No warnings since using the charger.
P200 R Dynamic S Auto. Mar 2019 5000 mls.
Pete 1952

#20 ·
So, I ordered the CTEK MXS 5.0 kit along with a 2.5m extension. All good until I went to connect the ring connectors to the battery. The ones in the kit are too small (M6?) to go over the lugs , so now I need to get larger ones. I'm thinking I need M8. Anyway I've used the croc clips for now and with the extension lead I can leave the charger in the garage with the door closed and locked, and the bonnet closed and car locked. I just need a more permanent fit.

#21 ·
Hi pxr5. I managed to fit the CTEK leads to the battery connections with no problems ,from memory I fitted them to the charging posts. There is also on one of the posts about battery or charging some pictures of the CTEK leads fitted to the Battery. Hope this helps.
pete1952

#22 ·
Hi Pete, thanks. Looking at the photos earlier in this thread, the ring connectors are attached to the lugs with the nuts. This is where I went to connect mine today. I've already ordered the 8mm connector from Amazon (£4.96) to achieve this. I couldn't see where else they could attach and I don't recall any other pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.