Sport / Drive / Comfort / Dynamic ????

All Jaguar E-Pace related discussions
twabrigs

Sport / Drive / Comfort / Dynamic ????

Post by twabrigs » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:33 pm

So I've had the car for 4-5 months now and am pretty happy with the way it drives.

I am confused though about the gearbox modes and 'JaguarDrive' modes. The manual doesn't really specify the differences between these, other than very vague statements about steering and throttle response and being dynamic. Makes me wonder how much Emperor's New Clothes there are around these modes.

Does anyone have a plain English description of the differences between Drive and Sport (eg. does it really change up or down at different revs, I am not convinced it does. I read in a review that Sport throws more power to the rear wheels which I doubt)

And the actual differences between Comfort and Dynamic (eg. throttle becomes more sensitive, on the F-Type apparently Dynamic lowers the suspension). Eco and Snow modes I can imagine what the differences are.

My hunch is that the 'best' performance (however one defines that...I suppose fastest and possibly stiffer suspension) is supposed to be Sport + Dynamic?
April 2018, D180 R-Dynamic HSE in Fuji White. Black Pack, 20" black wheels, panoramic roof, privacy glass.

Smokeyblue59

Re: Sport / Drive / Comfort / Dynamic ????

Post by Smokeyblue59 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:11 pm

Okay i drive a P200 S, and previously had a Disco Sport D180,

I live in the Borders and travel to Yorkshire frequently, In general i drive in Drive with Comfort selected which allows me the power to overtake at a reasonable speed, However if i require a fast overtake i push over to sport and select dynamic and go for it.

Taurus

Post by Taurus » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:56 pm

I use mine in sport/ dynamic all the time, leave as automatic, only use gear selector on long descents to stay in low gear to reduce load on brakes, dynamic sharpens up throttle response, sport mode does alter gearchange points, car will hold lower gear ready to deliver quicker response, without calling on kickdown, small throttle pedal movements will trigger immediate gear changes, I find that eco slows response, causing what a lot of people complain about when transmission tries to sort out what driver is requesting, especially at junctions and roundabouts, no extra power is made or reduced depending on mode selected, I have had three Jags now an XE, and two E-paces, and all have responded the same, snow mode is a very different thing, you control progress by using cruise control buttons, up to about 19 mph, if you use brakes or accelerator it cancels, but it is very effective on ice and snow, and finally I don't find any penalty on fuel consumption regularly hit high 40s to low 50s, best figure on long run was 62, not brilliant in stop start traffic and short urban runs but what vehicle is?
E-Pace SE 180d, Caldera red, Jet trim, fixed panoramic roof, privacy glass, 19" 5 spoke satin dark grey wheels.

twabrigs

Post by twabrigs » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:51 am

thanks both, v helpful
April 2018, D180 R-Dynamic HSE in Fuji White. Black Pack, 20" black wheels, panoramic roof, privacy glass.

jagusa

Post by jagusa » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:31 pm

I was going to use this opportunity to make a joke that the difference between the Dynamic mode and Sport mode is that what Dynamic mode does is change the lights red, while use Sport mode to lock the transmission in 2nd gear.

There was a good thread around here somewhere that actually technically worked it out clearly. Basically it seems that Dynamic touches that 'adaptive' screen and adjusts steering tightness, etc., besides whatever it is doing to throttle... while Sport to me seems just to hit transmission (and turn on the paddles), kind of like those "overdrive" buttons of yesteryore, i.e., stay in higher gear/lower revs when overdrive on, turn off to stay in lower gear. Maybe a poor analogy but whatever.

Now, if anyone here can describe how to identify whether a JLR vehicle is equipped with "Active Driveline" by the behavior seen or felt while driving it, you will win an award!

Return to “Main Jaguar E-Pace chat”