Tailgate opening itself

All Jaguar E-Pace related discussions
pg562

Tailgate opening itself

Post by pg562 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:11 am

Hi folks,

On my E-Pace (2018 S D180), the tailgate keeps randomly popping itself open onto its first latch about once or twice a week.

This happens either:
  • when I'm driving (the "tailgate open" message is displayed on the dashboard and the tailgate is ajar)
  • when the car is parked and locked (the alarm is triggered)
It's been into the dealership many times for this issue now. They can see that it happens from the alarm records, but haven't found a cause for it. They've updated the BCM and replaced the tailgate latch, but it hasn't fixed the issue.

I'm going through the process of rejecting the car because I am concerned that it's a safety or security issue.

Has anybody else experienced similar please?

Thanks.

Jalees

Re: Tailgate opening itself

Post by Jalees » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:52 am

Is this a brand new car like you are the only owner?
Maybe someone is playing with remote app ?
Just trying to rule out.
Or if you have setup remote app in your smart phone try to delete the app and don't install it.
Check for sometime before re installing.
Have you tried closing boot manually? Maybe do that and observe.

There are few threads here and on fpace forum where boot opens up itself and worst some of them have shattered rear windscreen after it got open while driving like coming out of car park and hitting.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

pg562

Post by pg562 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:30 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am the only owner of the car from brand new.

I don't have an electric tailgate, so I always have to close the tailgate manually. The other day, I opened the boot, put some bags in, closed it and locked the car. Within about 20 minutes, the tailgate had popped itself open and triggered the alarm. I checked my CCTV and nobody was near the car when it happened.

I have deleted the app now and changed my account password just in case. Unless I'm mistaken though, the app doesn't have the functionality to open just the tailgate and, even if it did, I don't think it would trigger the alarm?

Taurus

Post by Taurus » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:25 pm

Hi, the app won't open the tailgate, even with powered tailgate, only lock or unlock doors, boot lock, filler flap, do you always use the same smart key, if so may be worth trying other key, maybe a fault on the button, Tony.
E-Pace SE 180d, Caldera red, Jet trim, fixed panoramic roof, privacy glass, 19" 5 spoke satin dark grey wheels.

Jalees

Post by Jalees » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:35 pm

That's bizarre. Maybe the button fault.
To narrow down try locating the fuse if there is any just for boot lock or boot button.
Close the boot pull the fuse out and then see it may rule out if electric button or electric lock is playing up.
Just a thought, but as you said dealer have checked it so not sure.
As suggested try using the spare key for sometime.

Thanks.
KJ

pg562

Post by pg562 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:11 pm

Thank you for the suggestions.

Jaguar Assistance have towed the car back to the dealership, who are working with JLR's technical team again.

The dealership have checked all of the wiring and switches, and are satisfied that everything is correct. They are investigating whether the boot alignment is slightly outside of tolerance at the minute, which could be causing it to not latch correctly.

If they are unable to find the fault, I shall try your suggestions. I suspect it isn't an issue with the key though because it has happened while the key has been stored in a faraday pouch (which blocks the signals). Pulling the fuse should definitely help to determine if it's an electrical issue though.

Thanks again!

pg562

Post by pg562 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:06 pm

The dealership have now replaced the BCM and keyless entry system. They are going to perform a road test tomorrow and will then be asking me to collect it.

They think this will fix the fault, but cannot guarantee it. This is the same as they said the last 3 or 4 times when they tried to convince me that updating the BCM, replacing the latch, re-aligning the tailgate, etc. would fix it. Every time, the car faulted itself the same day.

I'm not happy at all about collecting the car again when the dealership have such little confidence in their fix, particularly when this fault affects the safety and security of the vehicle.

Unfortunately, this will be the last JLR car that I ever get.