Battery charger

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar E-Pace
Pacman

Battery charger

Post by Pacman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:40 am

Ever since I had a BMW X5 fail on me with a dud battery, I’ve fitted a battery conditioner to every car I’ve had. I have a CTEK charger (MXS 7.0) which I would like to fit to my new E Pace - I believe the Jaguar-branded CTEK charger comes with a fitting kit for a socket in the boot - has anyone fitted this? Was it a dealer fit? If you fit yourself is there likely to be any issue with the warranty (the manual says that the battery should be removed for charging)?

BilboBaggins

Re: Battery charger

Post by BilboBaggins » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:39 am

I've used a CTEK MSX 5.0 on the E-Pace for 5 weeks when we went to Oz. I connected it to the battery terminals (you have to take the plastic cover off first), left the bonnet up & left the car unlocked (yes, it was in the garage ;-))
It was absolutely fine when we got back.
P250 S Corris Grey

mfl

Post by mfl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:44 am

After my epace battery went flat when I left it at an airport for four weeks I got a solar powered conditioning charger from Halfords. You can buy an OBDII connector for these, so no need to go under the bonnet or have it wired in. I’ve since left the car for eight weeks and the battery appeared to be fully charged on my return. Started first time anyway.

It’s a good investment. Believe me, you don’t want to return from a long haul flight early on a wet cold morning and find your car won’t start.
D180 AWD Auto, Firenze Red. Feb 2018

Williamsplace

Post by Williamsplace » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:43 am

I also use the CTEK MSX 5.0 as this appears to be the same charger as Jaguar has for sale, I connected the pig tail connector to the battery terminals and purchased a CTEK extension cord (I think 3 meters) so I can charge it in or out of the garage with the bonnet open or closed, however the charger seems to get very hot but works well.

William.
P250 R-Dynamic HSE Corris Gray

Carpediem

Post by Carpediem » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:21 pm

I too use a CTEK charger, although a slightly larger model MSX 10.0. Have had the charger connected for periods lasting up to 10 days and all ok. Like Williamsplace I have connected a pig tail connector to the battery and fastened the other end to the underside of the battery cover with gaffer tape. Using the CTEK extension cord it's possible to close the bonnet and lock the car whilst on charge.

CTEK 2.jpg

CTEK 1.jpg

Carpe Diem - P300 HSE AWD R-Dynamic Silicon Silver

Pacman

Post by Pacman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:34 am

Thanks for the responses - I have the CTEK extension
lead and pigtail connector so I’ll look at fitting it direct to the battery.

On my XJ it was recommended to fit the negative connector to an earth somewhere on the chassis rather than direct to the terminal. Apparently the battery monitor gets confused if the charger is connected directly. I take it there’s been no issues connecting direct to the battery terminals?

Carpediem

Post by Carpediem » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:21 pm

I used the same connection method on a Jaguar XK Converible, albeit with a longer pigtail, as the battery is located in a near inaccessible position in the boot. No problems experienced with either vehicle.
Carpe Diem - P300 HSE AWD R-Dynamic Silicon Silver

MalcolmD

Post by MalcolmD » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:51 am

As a matter of interest, I read a few years ago on a Land Rover forum that to help retain battery charge you should double lock and apply electronic handbrake, this means the car's sensors will go to sleep.
I also use a battery conditioner on my XK through the boot but I "lock" the boot open with screwdriver though the locking mechanism and follow the previous tips to speed up charging.
With the E-Pace if you don't lock the car or close the bonnet I'm sure it will take longer to charge. Obviously if you can't garage your car then it's a problem with electrics outdoors etc.
2018 E-PACE P250 S Firenze Red
2008 XKR Azure Blue

Return to “Faults & Technical”