Power tailgate has a mind of its own

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar E-Pace
twabrigs

Power tailgate has a mind of its own

Post by twabrigs » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:31 am

Hi folks.

I have a new problem with just happened three times this week where the power tailgate opens itself...

All three times the car was parked with the engine off and one of the rear doors has been open (it’s happened with either one of the rear doors). I have definitely not pressed the tailgate button in the car or on the key.

The first time it happened I had opened the rear offside door to put something in the back. I left it open and walked round to open the front nearside and as I did the tailgate opened.

Yesterday we left the car and as soon as the final door (rear nearside) was slammed the tailgate opened. All very odd.

Anyone else had this, or have any bright ideas?
April 2018, D180 R-Dynamic HSE in Fuji White. Black Pack, 20" black wheels, panoramic roof, privacy glass.

twabrigs

Re: Power tailgate has a mind of its own

Post by twabrigs » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:37 pm

Firstly, Merry Christmas folks.

Anyway, I can tie up a loose end here, with some embarrassment.

I reported the problem to my dealer when the car was in for a front door handle replacement a couple of weeks ago. They said they'd interrogated the car's computer(s) and there were no error reports, couldn't replicate the problem etc etc. The usual intermittent nightmare problem.

Since then the problem recurred once when I was approaching the car with the dog who darted under the car before I opened the rear door. Then on Christmas Eve I parked at a supermarket a spotted a bit of paper stuck to one of the rear tyres. I scooped it off with my foot and the tailgate gently rose aloft.

I have now realised that I have a gesture tailgate...

Problem solved.
April 2018, D180 R-Dynamic HSE in Fuji White. Black Pack, 20" black wheels, panoramic roof, privacy glass.

Dave W

Post by Dave W » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:44 pm

I have gesture tailgate and can never get it to work when I need it. Salesman did it every time without fail
P250 R Dynamic HSE Fuji White, Black pack, Black Contrasting Roof and Privacy Glass

jneill

Post by jneill » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:08 pm

twabrigs wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:37 pm
Firstly, Merry Christmas folks.

Anyway, I can tie up a loose end here, with some embarrassment.

I reported the problem to my dealer when the car was in for a front door handle replacement a couple of weeks ago. They said they'd interrogated the car's computer(s) and there were no error reports, couldn't replicate the problem etc etc. The usual intermittent nightmare problem.

Since then the problem recurred once when I was approaching the car with the dog who darted under the car before I opened the rear door. Then on Christmas Eve I parked at a supermarket a spotted a bit of paper stuck to one of the rear tyres. I scooped it off with my foot and the tailgate gently rose aloft.

I have now realised that I have a gesture tailgate...

Problem solved.
:lol:

Merry Christmas!