Maps Sign in

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar E-Pace
Snoopy

Re: Maps Sign in

Post by Snoopy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:24 pm

I'm going to add to this here. I think I posted else where in the Forums earlier this month and everything seemed to fix it's self. Although at that time there was a 3UK issue. If I researched correctly Ubigi are a MVNO that use 3UK in the UK.

I have had the same issue through out June. Unable to sign in to navigation, no weather, no traffic updates, no web browser, WiFI hotspot device connects but no internet. This is using a 3UK, EE, Vodafone sim and home wifi connection (BT). For added interest I'm SE England with good 4G coverage.

What my research has shown me is that when connecting via wifi. The infotainment system is not accepting the DNS servers offered by the internet router instead it is using the routers IP as DNS. For most people this should not be an issue. But and its a big but, I have DNS on the router disabled and the router does not send it's own IP as a DNS server when replying to DHCP request, I do not have a clue where this is coming from. If the DNS settings are not being picked up correctly when using a 3G / 4G this is going to cause an issue.

If you can see below. First pic shows the correct DNS settings from my mobile, the other two are the DNS settings on the infotainment system, how dusty is that screen. This is almost definitely going to be a dealer only fix unless there's some reset I can do. A quick note I did try web browsing with a wifi connection by ip rather than name URL. With inconclusive results.

Dave

IMG_8214.PNG

IMG_8215.png

IMG_8216.png

twabrigs

Post by twabrigs » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:47 pm

Always wondered what a subnet mask was.

Perhaps it's inferior PPE bought from a dodgy website...
April 2018, D180 R-Dynamic HSE in Fuji White. Black Pack, 20" black wheels, panoramic roof, privacy glass.

Jalees

Post by Jalees » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:08 pm

Snoopy wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:24 pm
I'm going to add to this here. I think I posted else where in the Forums earlier this month and everything seemed to fix it's self. Although at that time there was a 3UK issue. If I researched correctly Ubigi are a MVNO that use 3UK in the UK.

I have had the same issue through out June. Unable to sign in to navigation, no weather, no traffic updates, no web browser, WiFI hotspot device connects but no internet. This is using a 3UK, EE, Vodafone sim and home wifi connection (BT). For added interest I'm SE England with good 4G coverage.

What my research has shown me is that when connecting via wifi. The infotainment system is not accepting the DNS servers offered by the internet router instead it is using the routers IP as DNS. For most people this should not be an issue. But and its a big but, I have DNS on the router disabled and the router does not send it's own IP as a DNS server when replying to DHCP request, I do not have a clue where this is coming from. If the DNS settings are not being picked up correctly when using a 3G / 4G this is going to cause an issue.

If you can see below. First pic shows the correct DNS settings from my mobile, the other two are the DNS settings on the infotainment system, how dusty is that screen. This is almost definitely going to be a dealer only fix unless there's some reset I can do. A quick note I did try web browsing with a wifi connection by ip rather than name URL. With inconclusive results.

Dave

IMG_8214.PNG IMG_8215.png IMG_8216.png
Ok let me try to clear up few things I believe you are mixing 2 things.
First of all your first picture is when your mobile is connected to a WiFi.
The DNS over there is a Google server DNS displayed it doesn't matter it works.
Ubigi is MVNO you are correct but depending on their contract in UK they can connect to any available network which has strong signal where you are. It can be EE O2 3UK...
If you are just connected to 3G or 4G mobile network I don't think you can see DNS ip.
Can you edit your DNS in infotainment system if you can then put DNS displayed in your picture.
I have not bothered connecting my car with home wifi I'll play with it and see if those settings are editable.
DNS is domain name server which has a main job to resolve URL to IP address.
For us humans it would be difficult to remember IP address of all websites.
But easy to remember BBC.co.uk / cnn.com or etc.
When you type a URL www.bbc.co.uk it's DNS which tries to find the server but in background it's the IP address on which results are fetched.

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ